Closed full-size cans for work?
Nov 10, 2006 at 7:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jim3535

New Head-Fier
I have been looking for a replacement for my mdr v600s I use at work. Lay off them; I've had 'em for 11 years and long before I knew anything about quality.

Skipping ahead, I'm looking for a DAC, amp, headphone setup for 400 or less to use at work. Thus far I'm planning on getting the total bithead unless there are better options.

I have been reading a lot about headphones and am considering the DT770-80, DT250-250, AKG 271s. At first I was really excited about the 770s. Then I kept reading and one thing kept coming up: "monster bass". Since I'm not a bass head that has me very worried. Overall I am satisfied with the DT880s I use at home, but I would like something with a bit better bass and a more full sound. I would also like to get something with a lot of detail and 'sparkling highs' like my 880s.

However, since I haven't owned anything between the V600 and DT880s, part of me wants to try a different sound. For a while I was quite interested in trying a pair of grados, but I decided that the only way I could stand them would be to get the beyer pad mod for them.

The DT250-250 sounded really good until I read the thread about the L/R balance problems, especially since new owners reported still having it. I have also seen a lot of people suggest ATH A900, but I haven't looked into them much.

What I am looking for:
  1. Comfort - must be completely comfortable for 8-12 hours
  2. Circumaural
  3. Closed (since these will be used in an office)
  4. Detailed
  5. $400 budget for cans, dac and amp
  6. amp must be AC / USB powered but optional battery use for ipod is a plus
  7. linux support for dac is a plus

Nov 10, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #2 of 6
I had similar requirements and did quite a bit of asking around before settling for the ATH-A700's, I havent gotten them yet but they seem to be the jack of all trades sorts. Supposedly extremely comfortable, closed, and can be run without an amp (although many claim they couple really well with the Little Dots, and provides great SQ (according to many, however there are some who dont seem to like their SQ)

And for 125 bucks, I think even if it sounds just above average, its well worth it.

Nov 10, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #3 of 6
I agree. Perhaps Audio Technica A700 or A900 might be good. They are closed and not as bass monsters as DT770 AFAIK.

Nov 10, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 6
I had the MDRV600 for years, just like you, before coming to HeadFi. I tried lots of closed headphones and finally settled on the DT770/80. Coming from the MDRV600, you will probably not think the DT770/80 have overwhelming bass. The V600 do have overwhelming bass, but it is all upper-bass with a complete lack of deep bass. With the DT770/80, you will notice that the upper-bass is tame compared to the V600, and you will get the benefit of hearing/feeling some very low bass freqs. It is true that when EQ'ed, the DT770/80 are capable of earth-shaking bass, but with a flat EQ I really don't think they are obnoxiously bassy. If you have a Guitar Center nearby, go and demo a pair!

Nov 10, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 6
I had very similar set of requirements and wound up settling on the DT770-250. I have a HR Total Bithead that I use at work and it seems to drive the DT770s fine. I really haven't noticed strong bass with the stuff I listen to (mostly acoustic rock). I will say my one great annoyance with the cans is the coiled cord. It puts a lot of weight on the one side when the cord slips of the table and just gets in the way.

Nov 10, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #6 of 6
I'm putting in another vote for the A900. Be aware though that you won't get that sparkly beyer treble. The A900 has a prominent upper midrange and the highs are more neutral... so you won't get that sparkle.

Also, since you're looking into spending so much money, I'm going to suggest you buy the replacement pads for the ATH-A1000. Those are leather pads which are much more comfortable than the thin pleather that comes stock with the ATH-A900. They're $50 from AudioCubes, a bit steep for pads, but they really did boost the comfort for me considerably.

The A900 is very efficient and sounds fine without an amp but if you want to get full enjoyment out of them the $70 Little Dot Micro+ is reported to have good synergy with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back