Closed, easily-driven headphones? (cheap & comfortable)
Jul 25, 2008 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

HalloweenJack

New Head-Fier
Hi

What are your top 3 headphones meeting the following criterias:

-Closed
-Easily driven (max. 70 Ohms)
-Comfortable (around ear, not on it)

Sound-wise, I don't want anything too detailed. I'm a big fan of my Koss Porta-Pro.

(searched around the forum, and am a bit curious about the Audio Technica ATHA700, anyone tried them?)

best regards from
Magnus

Jul 25, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 4
Actually I was looking for the same things you did. At first I thought about buying a pair of bose triports, but quickly changed my mind after sampling them at the bose store. I ended up buying Audio Technica ATH-A700. I have very little experience in high-end audio, but these headphones sound much better than anything else I tried. They are also very comfortable and you barely notice them even after hours of listening. They might look a bit odd on your head since they are so big. But overall, I think that these headphones well worth $120 (remember that the original MSRP for these is $300).

Hope this helps!

Jul 25, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #3 of 4
I have the ATH-A700, and the only reason they're not really my primary listening headphones now is because I didn't want them to drag them on the bus when my work location got a little weird. They are really comfortable as long as it's not too warm...otherwise like most headphones, your ears may get sweaty just from being closed off like that. Real easy to drive from my old Cowon X5L and sound nice, though not perfect by any stretch of the mind. Still, for the cost, I'd say they're definitely worth it as long as you don't mind the hugeness factor of them.

Jul 26, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #4 of 4
I was very pleasantly surprised by my brother's AKG K271S. Very nice sound for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back