Closed earphones for bus/school etc?
Jun 17, 2009 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

JereHakala

New Head-Fier
[size=xx-small]So basically, I'm totally lost which one I should buy, I don't have amp and I have read that SR80's need amp, otherwise they will sound worse than the SR60's, so what should I do? Also, if I bought the 80's I would get them in few days, for 60's I would need to wait 1 week or so.

And, would it be even possible to listen those at bus? They're open headphones so I think not, has anyone tried?[/size]

Err, so I'm looking for headphones to school, bus, travel etc, for about 100-150€
I live in Finland so there isn't that much choice, does anyone have any suggestions? I was looking at some Grado's but they're open so... IEM's are fine too but, I'm not sure.

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #2 of 15
From what I have read the SR80 will not need an amp but does improve with one. Neither would be ideal for a bus as they will leak alot and not isolate at all.

Id recommend the Alessandro MS-1 over both though since they are around the same price as the SR80 but technically on par with the SR125. They are a bit more balanced/neutral making them more versatile as well.

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by JereHakala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So basically, I'm totally lost which one I should buy, I don't have amp and I have read that SR80's need amp, otherwise they will sound worse than the SR60's, so what should I do? Also, if I bought the 80's I would get them in few days, for 60's I would need to wait 1 week or so.

And, would it be even possible to listen those at bus? They're open headphones so I think not, has anyone tried?

1) Neither headphone needs an amp, although they both improve with the right amp.

2) Under no amping conditions would I say the SR80 sounds worse. In some cases they may be difficult to tell apart, but never worse.

3) The only real deciding factor between SR60s and SR80s is whether or not the smallish, but noticeable increase in sound quality is worth the 20 or so dollars more that the SR80s cost. It doesn't sound like that's a factor for you.

4) Grados are the most open headphone out there. My open AD700s seem absolutely isolating compared to my SR60s. The main issue will be that you will unwittingly turn up the volume more and more to drown out outside noise, which will work, however, it will destroy your hearing in the process. If you're going to be using these in even semi-noisy environments, look elsewhere. They're also very audible to those sitting around you, so they'll know exactly what you're listening to.

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I have read the SR80 will not need an amp but does improve with one. Neither would be ideal for a bus as they will leak alot and not isolate at all.

Id recommend the Alessandro MS-1 over both though since they are around the same price as the SR80 but technically on par with the SR125. They are a bit more balanced/neutral making them more versatile as well.

I'd agree about the MS-1. However, I'd actually say the MS-1, along with the SR80, are better than the SR125, which sounds harsh to me. I'd rank the lower end Grado/Allesandros thusly (from lowest to best):

SR60 (entry level sound, but still good)
SR125 (its like it improves the highs, but hasn't eliminated the harshness of the low level Grado sound)
SR80 (Still a bit unrefined, but better bass and slightly smoother)
SR325 (Too bright for my tastes, but otherwise really good)
MS-1 (great balanced sound, smooth)
MS-2 (slightly more detailed than the MS-1)
SR225 (Not as detailed as the MS-2, but better balanced and smoother, IMHO, To me if you're going to try to improve it, just jump into an RS-1)

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They don't sell Alessandro MS-1's in Finland, and in fact there is only 1 store in Finland that sells Grado's headphones :/..

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) Neither headphone needs an amp, although they both improve with the right amp.

2) Under no amping conditions would I say the SR80 sounds worse. In some cases they may be difficult to tell apart, but never worse.

3) The only real deciding factor between SR60s and SR80s is whether or not the smallish, but noticeable increase in sound quality is worth the 20 or so dollars more that the SR80s cost. It doesn't sound like that's a factor for you.

4) Grados are the most open headphone out there. My open AD700s seem absolutely isolating compared to my SR60s. The main issue will be that you will unwittingly turn up the volume more and more to drown out outside noise, which will work, however, it will destroy your hearing in the process. If you're going to be using these in even semi-noisy environments, look elsewhere. They're also very audible to those sitting around you, so they'll know exactly what you're listening to.

I might think about some other earphones, or maybe some iem's then.. hmm.
I wish the price difference would be just that 20 dollars, but in fact it's 46 Euros, which is 63 dollars.

Does anyone spot any good isolating headphones for like 140€ in here:
Elektroni - PC-Shop

Thanks

Jun 17, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #9 of 15
Personally, I think SR80 requires amping if you are using a DAP as source - many DAPs skimp on headphone out to boost battery life. I was really un-happy with the Creative ZVM headphone out which couldn't really drive my PX100 properly.

Jun 17, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I think SR80 requires amping if you are using a DAP as source - many DAPs skimp on headphone out to boost battery life. I was really un-happy with the Creative ZVM headphone out which couldn't really drive my PX100 properly.

That Creative must have a lousy headphone stage, I've used PX200 with my H140 and another DAP, plus Grado SR-80 and RS-1 as well, and driven fine. Don't notice any nasties like I do with harder to drive phones on DAP's.

Jun 17, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't the money for the RS-1. You can the M-50.

Huh?
Grado RS-1? They're just 600€ over my budget, and what M-50's? None finnish shop sells them.

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #14 of 15
You could try AKG K150 small, portable and a closed construction. The price should be well within your budget and they can't be hard to find.

AKG Personal Audio - K 450

Users who are viewing this thread

Back