closed, comfortable, unamped recommendations in 2010 for <$200?
May 12, 2010 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

bebpo

New Head-Fier
Hi, I've just spent the last 3 hours reading a dozen threads here to try to find my a replacement headphones for my Technics DJ700 I've been using for 6-7 years.

I've found lots and lots of useful recommendations, but almost all the threads concerning <$200 headphones are about 5-6 years old at this point and I'm wondering if there are any recent developments and better headphones.

My requirements are:
1.  Closed - needs to be pretty closed.  I use them in medical facilities sometimes and don't want to disturb anyone nearby.
2.  Comfortable Comfortable Comfortable - I mainly use my headphones while lying on my bed with my head on my pillow.  I am a small person (5'4") with a small head. 
3.  Unamped - I may get a portable amp at some point but I just can't afford one & a good headphone right now

I use my headphones for a lot of things.  I use them on airplanes, trains, and around people to listen to music on my iphone, I use them on my bed to play portable game systems (PSP/DS), and I use them on my computer for PC gaming.  Not using them for movies at all.

Portability isn't really an issue because when I take them outside for planes/trains/etc... I usually take them in a backpack.  I mean coming from DJ phones like my Technics I'm used to large/bulky headphones I think.

Here's what I had narrowed it down to after reading dozens of threads on the topic:

Shure 840s - I actually had clicked order on these on Amazon but then quickly cancelled the order out of buyer's remorse because they just didn't sound comfortable enough. 

ATH-A700s - Seem nice but people seemed to have complaints about the sound quality and them being too bulky for pillow-usage

Beyerdynamic 770-80s - Kind of pricey for me, but they seem very good in sound and comfort.  But a lot of people were saying they really needed an amp, which I can't afford.  Especially on top of $200+ phones.

RP-21's - Good price, but didn't seem comfortable enough for me.  Read some complaints on leakage as well.

Sen~ 280HD Pro - These were the first phones I looked at and they seem great except everyone says they are uncomfortable and have boring sound.

That's about where I am right now.  Again I want to keep everything under <$200 and have some phones that will last me a good 4-5 years for music, portable gaming, pc gaming.  Any help is appreciated :)

thanks,

May 12, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 15
Welcome to Head-Fi.

Nice list you have there. I have a pair of HD280's and like them though they are uncomfortable after a bit. If you're after isolation though these are very hard to beat. I've tried them with gaming and they don't seem to have much soundstage though. I'd probably consider the M50 instead of the 280. They are pretty popular around here. If you have the opportunity go and audition some of the cans you have listed. If you can't find a headphone store close by you might go by Guitar Center. They have a pretty good selection. I know they have the DT770, M50, 840, and 280's there. That should give you a pretty good idea of what you like.

What kind of music do you listen to?

May 12, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 15
I wouldn't want to throw the A700's in a backpack, even if you are used to bulky headphones.  The wing design doesn't look like it was really meant to be rugged.  I also don't use them while lying down because they are really bulky.  They are super comfortable though, and I've grown to like their sound in its own way.  For your uses, might be a good candidate to scratch off the list.

May 12, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 15
Thanks for the replies.  I listen to all kinds of music from rock to electronic to classical.  With gaming it's a lot of dialogue, music and sound effects.  Everything is 2.0 stereo from music to games (unless I'm listening to music in mono).  Nothing competitive where perfect distance sound matters at all.

I'd never heard of the M50s but looking around that definitely seems a nice fit for what I'm looking for.  Might pull the trigger on that in a day or two if there's no better suggestions to look into.

May 12, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 15
I agree with the DT250 recommendation - I think it's a solid all-rounder that isolates pretty well, is comfortable, and has an inoffensive, slightly bassy, sound signature.

They work well on pillows because they have a really low profile, and it doesn't really need an amp (the 80ohm version at least).

May 12, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #7 of 15
The 250 look nice, but I think what's putting me off is the 770-80 is really around the same price and just looks so much more comfortable.  Is the main advantage of the 250 that it doesn't need to be amped like the 770 to sound good?  In fact what's the main difference between the 250-80 and the 770-80? 

And is the one they sell on amazon through other distrobuters the 80ohm or 250ohm version?
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-250-Headphones-ear-cup/dp/B0002V9EA4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1273719295&sr=8-3

Sorry if that's a lot of questions in one go

May 12, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 15
I'll recommend the Shure SRH 750DJ. Should be a nice upgrade to your Technics which as I recall had some really nice crisp treble (been a while since I listened to those from a friend's set). Since you mentioned you have a small head, the comfort problem a lot of people have with the 750s shouldn't be an issue.

Try it out though before you buy, or make sure you can return it, in case the comfort is off.

Other than that it fulfills all your other requirements and is the best option I have found under $200 at the moment.

May 13, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #9 of 15
bebpo:  I have only listened to the 770 for a very short time, and I don't remember anything about it, so I can't compare the sound for you.  I also, sadly, don't know what version is for sale on Amazon, but Guitar Center sells the 80ohm, but for more money.

The 250 is very comfortable, but probably not as comfy if you have seriously large ears.  I wore them for 8+ hours a day for a couple years with no problem.

If money is a problem, and you want an amp, you can always get a PA2V2 from Gary at Electric Avenues for $60.  Great deal.

May 13, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #10 of 15
Of the ones I've had experience with...

Unless you are thinking about getting the 600 ohm DT770's... don't. I had the 250 ohm version and found them very much not to my liking. I thought they were thin, brittle and shrill. And... they have big earcups - not portable.

The SRH-840 are exceptional sound-wise. They are very clear & clean with a natural tonality. Incredibly heavy and uncomfortable to me. A real shame. The earpads were comfortable enough, but they hurt the top of my head. Very little padding on the headband. A real shame as I liked them a lot otherwise.

You may want to consider the ATH-M50. They accentuate the bass a bit, but they are great, comfortable all-arounders. Easily powered by my iPod. They fold up into a cumbersome but relatively small package. Comes with it's own bag.

Good luck.

shane

May 13, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #11 of 15
How about some Ultrasones, like the HFi-780s?  They're closed and have excellent isolation, and they perform well without an amplifier.  They are also foldable and very durable and come with a bag for transport.  I found them to be pretty comfortable too, though out of the box they clamp your head fairly tightly, but apparently that can be adjusted:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/2821957-post2902.html

As far as sound goes, they are crisp and clear in the mids and highs, though the treble is a bit on the bright / sparkly side (which I like, personally).  Also, the bass is strong and punchy.  I would probably say the sound signature leans toward the euphonic rather than the neutral.

Just another pair of 'phones to consider.

May 13, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #12 of 15
May 13, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #13 of 15
thanks everyone.  I looked into the pros & cons of all the ones listed and I ended up ordering the M50s mainly for the comfort factor as comfort was really a huge concern as I can go 5-6 hours with headphones.  Plus they seem like a really good value for being ~$100.

In the future I might try some higher end phones, but for now these should be a good replacement for my technics which have completely fallen apart in the last 2 months (though they lasted 6+ years so I can't complain).

May 13, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #15 of 15
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH another M50 victim.

:p

Enjoy the 'phones and stay away before your wallet is nonexistent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back