Closed Comfortable Headphone for under $100
Sep 5, 2015 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

rohand

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I am looking for a pair of headphones as the title suggests. I am a complete noob to headphones, so I have no idea what my sound signature is.

Here are my lost of requirements in order of importance

Around $100
Very comfortable
Closed/no sound leakage
Reasonably portable ( I should be able to take them in a backpack with a laptop and other stuff)

Thanks so much!
Any reccomendations are appreciated!

Sep 5, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 11
I can tell you about a headphone that I've been looking at for similar purposes, but can't recommend cause I don't own them/haven't heard them....yet

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-715875-350p-Headphone-Black/dp/B00MRUQ1UO

To me they look interesting cause they look small, lightweight, they are foldable, and supposedly have pretty clear balanced sound.

The one downside I see to these is that they look a little fragile to me. One would probably have to be pretty careful with them.

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 11
I would suggest sennhiser 598 they are open back but have VERY minimal sound leaking. They have excellent sound quality you should be able to find a pair for under a 100
smily_headphones1.gif

HD598 at under $100?????? Even used they sell for more than that. He could get an HD558 for close to $100, or he could get an HD518.

Sep 6, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #10 of 11
If you really need something to block outside noise and keep from annoying others with your music don't go with open headphones or even semi-open headphones at all. Even closed cans leak some sound and let sound in. Anything open at all is going to be significantly worse in that regard.

If you are using anything open even in a slightly noisy environment you have to turn the volume up to compensate for the noise coming in. Too much of that will damage your hearing. Open backs are for quiet at home/office type environments where you are also not going to disturb others. Would not recommend for anything else.

Sep 6, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #11 of 11
SRH440s have pretty good mids/highs that are good for acoustic/vocals, but there can be some sibilance depending on the song and your volume. There's punchy bass, but can muddle a bit and isn't very strong. If you replace the pads with srh840 pads, theyre very comfortable. They're closed so they have passive isolation but if you're blasting music some will leak out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back