Closed, clarity and soundstage
Nov 17, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #31 of 48
Alright, so I just got the Senn Amperiors! First off, I paid $200 CAD. I bought them used, in great condition. At that price, I have no reservations.

Have been listening for the last couple hours. And I know these headphones are not in the same category as the NAD's (I don't consider them to be anyway). I'd use the NAD's/PSB's at home, these are going to be perfect for travelling etc. But anyway.

Here are my initial impressions after listening to the Screamadelica album:

Comfort first. Calliper pressure is definitely high. I had to take them off after listening to the full album (like an hour or something). The pad's, while comfortable, got quite hot. Although I expected all this before buying them. Comfort I guess you'd say is slightly below average but not terrible - and I wear glasses as well.

This isn't a basshead headphone. I honestly thought there would be a heavier bass emphasis. The base is super tight, fast and punchy and maybe a little dry. There does seem to be a slight boost in the mid-bass adding some thumpyness and would explain that bass punch. The bass that is there is completely separated from the mids and is of good quality.

The mids are somewhat recessed, but all in all, quite good (not able to fairly assess them yet). Though I can say without a doubt they are not nearly as refined and liquid/organic sounding as the PSB/NAD's.

The treble! The treble is very cool. Very up-front (some might say fairly aggressive). This is not the treble I'm used to out of a Sennheiser - I own the HD408 and my brother owns the HD650. It is not veiled one bit -- such a good thing (for me anyway). This is a damned clear headphone, awesome.

Imaging is lightening quick -- this emphasized treble creates a very spacey soundstage which I also love. 

Again, these are first impressions with the type of music they apparently excel at.

I'll try to add more a in-depth comparison between these and the NAD's. My impression so far is overall, the NAD's are quite a bit more refined and natural sounding with an exhilarating liquid organic quality. The Amperior's on the other-hand, are clear, with very accurate lazer-like imaging and a much more up-front treble.

Maybe more to come.

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #33 of 48
I'm sure those are all good choices. I guess it all depends on your preferences for a sound signature. I've listened to MSR7; the MM400 are levels above. I also like the Denons better than PM-3 which offer a similar signature. Although the cups are on the small side and shallow,  they're the only headphones I can keep on my head for long listening sessions. They're not analytical, sound extremely natural, little warm but the bass is fast, have great details and separation, polite highs which don't lack excitement. Of course, I'm biased but they deserve their price and should be considered.

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #34 of 48
After some listening, it'd be really tough to choose between the two (NAD vs. Amperior)...I can't comment on the other 'phones mentioned. Note: all my music is .flac quality.

I think to try to put it simply, if you want a more clear yet aggressive treble and bass emphasized sound -and you listen mostly to electronic based music- I'd pick the Sennheiser's. They did not fair well at all with Joy Division, Manic Street Preachers that kind of thing. All the other electronic based music I threw at it sounded really good however.

If however your taste in music is more eclectic, the NAD's will handle everything in a very smooth, organic, musical way. It just doesn't have the portability and clear, lazer treble the Senn's do. 

My work here is done, I hope it helped. You can't really make a wrong choice with the headphones mentioned. It's just really dependent on the type of music you listen to most often and how much emphasis you're putting on portability.

Good listening!

Nov 19, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #37 of 48
If you want the best clarity get M40fs or M40x and mod earpads and you can hear just the music, no woody or muddy sounds. Probably those interested in Virtual Reality or musicians like pianists will know best what sounds should go as hard and loud as possible that shouldn't hold back by any limitations.

What you're looking for "soundstage" is only relevant for DAC, not headphones.

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #39 of 48
Ordered the Beoplay H6 last night, thought it might be worth the shot. From what I've read, they carry the clarity and soundstage I'm looking for. I get them on Monday and will report back, if anything, I might return to try the NAD's

Nov 20, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #42 of 48
I sure hope I made the right choice, they seem to have the sound I want, look awesome and got them for $309 total through eglobal central

As PM-3 owner I am little disappoint you won't try it before you bought H6.....

Just kidding
biggrin.gif

However you should find some chance at least to try out PM-3 for once, Planar phones will adjust your mind of music......OK maybe little too dramatic 
wink.gif

H6 is good choice as long as you like it.

Nov 20, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #43 of 48
As PM-3 owner I am little disappoint you won't try it before you bought H6.....

Just kidding :D

However you should find some chance at least to try out PM-3 for once, Planar phones will adjust your mind of music......OK maybe little too dramatic :wink:

H6 is good choice as long as you like it.

I get them today! I'll report back, I'm freaking out I won't like them lol

Nov 20, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #44 of 48
I feel like the Srh1540s are worth mentioning. They're a bit V shaped, but not terribly so and they have those classic Shure mids and highs. Also, handles bass superbly, though some have complained it can be excessive but I don't find this to be the case. 

Haven't tried the PM3 so I'm curious how your experience will be :)

Nov 20, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #45 of 48
I feel like the Srh1540s are worth mentioning. They're a bit V shaped, but not terribly so and they have those classic Shure mids and highs. Also, handles bass superbly, though some have complained it can be excessive but I don't find this to be the case. 

Haven't tried the PM3 so I'm curious how your experience will be :)

This one's where a good choice for me, but couldn't find them under $500 anywhere. Those and fostex th600 were my first choices if not for the money

Users who are viewing this thread

Back