Closed, clarity and soundstage
Nov 13, 2015 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

carlosabia

Head-Fier
Help me choose... I'm looking for some closed cans to be powered without an amp, just my android phone, I want wide soundstage, clear highs and smooth bass. Preferrably something with isolation and without much leak (portable). I tried vmodas and found it too "unclear", felt it's all too "bassy" and couldn't really define everything, I owned and liked the soundmagic hp150 but they broke.. Im willing to spend around $400, any suggestion would be life saving..

It's mainly for music.. Rock (metal, classic, alternative) and pretty much anything with vocals, guitars, drums and bass

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #2 of 48
To name few options:

-Beoplay h6
-Oppo pm3
-AT msr-7
-Momentum 2
-MDR-1A

From these I like the H6 most. However I haven't heard PM3, but from what I have read it is supposedly little better than the others. I thought 1A and Momentum 2 were kinda lacklusters, but people seem to like them. Then again few say that H6 sounds thin and bassless which I strongly disagree. Try find a store that has atleast few of these displayed and try them out.

Don't know how PM3 works unamped but rest of the listed HPs sound just fine from LG G3.

Nov 13, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 48
Ditto on the H6.  Superior to the Momentums and Sonys listed to my ears.  Haven't heard the Oppo and AT.  Also recommend the B&W P7, but slight edge to H6.  The H6 are my main closed headphones, primarily used with portable rig.  The clarity of the H6 unsurpassed in my opinion, and sound great without an amp.  Another good choice is AKG K553...but a bit large if your intention is portable use.   

Nov 13, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 48
Ditto on the H6.  Superior to the Momentums and Sonys listed to my ears.  Haven't heard the Oppo and AT.  Also recommend the B&W P7, but slight edge to H6.  The H6 are my main closed headphones, primarily used with portable rig.  The clarity of the H6 unsurpassed in my opinion, and sound great without an amp.  Another good choice is AKG K553...but a bit large if your intention is portable use.   

To name few options:

-Beoplay h6
-Oppo pm3
-AT msr-7
-Momentum 2
-MDR-1A

From these I like the H6 most. However I haven't heard PM3, but from what I have read it is supposedly little better than the others. I thought 1A and Momentum 2 were kinda lacklusters, but people seem to like them. Then again few say that H6 sounds thin and bassless which I strongly disagree. Try find a store that has atleast few of these displayed and try them out.

Don't know how PM3 works unamped but rest of the listed HPs sound just fine from LG G3.

I'm ordering this week. I'm between oppo pm-3 and H6. Price is similar and both look awesome

Nov 13, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #7 of 48
I'm ordering this week. I'm between oppo pm-3 and H6. Price is similar and both look awesome

I am not familiar with the PM3...never tried it.  The build quality of the H6 is top notch, and from what I have read, the PM3 is, as well.  You may want to do a little reading on Head Fi to see what others have experienced.  The PM3 is well covered and, I believe, pretty well liked by this community.  The H6 is classified as an over ear model...very comfortable for long listening sessions.  It is fairly light in weight despite its excellent build quality...primarily metal and leather for the visible parts.  The sound stage on the H6 is not huge (not as good as the AKG K553, for example), but I find the instrument/vocal placement to be among the best I have experienced.  It is easy to get immersed in the music.

Nov 13, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 48
How's the sound stage in the H6? Also, is H7 as good as H6? Wireless might come in handy

I've heard the H7, and prefer the H6 by far.  The H6 is more neutral to my ears.  Can't comment on the H7 wireless capabilities...sometimes the weak link on otherwise good phones.  Also, I just don't want to be bothered with having to charge headphones.  (I commented on sound stage in my previous post.)

Nov 13, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #9 of 48
I am not familiar with the PM3...never tried it.  The build quality of the H6 is top notch, and from what I have read, the PM3 is, as well.  You may want to do a little reading on Head Fi to see what others have experienced.  The PM3 is well covered and, I believe, pretty well liked by this community.  The H6 is classified as an over ear model...very comfortable for long listening sessions.  It is fairly light in weight despite its excellent build quality...primarily metal and leather for the visible parts.  The sound stage on the H6 is not huge (not as good as the AKG K553, for example), but I find the instrument/vocal placement to be among the best I have experienced.  It is easy to get immersed in the music.

Are the H7 the same as H6 but wireless? Do you think H6 fills my needs? From my first post. I want something to keep and these are getting my attention a lot, even more than the oppos

Nov 13, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #10 of 48
I've heard the H7, and prefer the H6 by far.  The H6 is more neutral to my ears.  Can't comment on the H7 wireless capabilities...sometimes the weak link on otherwise good phones.  Also, I just don't want to be bothered with having to charge headphones.  (I commented on sound stage in my previous post.)

H6 might be the one

Nov 13, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #11 of 48
H6 might be the one

Do yourself a favor and do some more research  I listen to my H6 straight from iPod Classic 7thGen...nothing fancy...about 2 hours per day.  I'll be interested to know which way you go, and your impressions.  Good luck on the journey

Nov 13, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #12 of 48
Do yourself a favor and do some more research  I listen to my H6 straight from iPod Classic 7thGen...nothing fancy...about 2 hours per day.  I'll be interested to know which way you go, and your impressions.  Good luck on the journey

Gonna test them out,, I've been doing a lot of research and oppos seemed the best choice, now H6 are looking like winners for me

Nov 13, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #13 of 48
I demoed the H6 before I bought the m4u2. Sounded really, really great. It was awhile ago but their superb clarity and detail I remember really standing out. Might even had bought them had they not been close to $150 more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back