Closed circumaural portable phones. No amp. About $150.
Jan 15, 2005 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Langrath

100+ Head-Fier
I guess the question is not new. But if we only would write earlier not written questions this forum soon would be dead. And there are always new phones coming.
I shall have them to my minidisc Sony MZ-NH600. I want more bass on portables than home phones. Sensitive. Closed. Circumaural no disadvantage. Big enough not to press ears. Not bass shy. They don't have to be that small. Not in ear or canal phones.

Georg

Jan 15, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 11
I've decided that the Beyerdynamic DT250 fits (my) specs the best, unfortunatley nobody can tell anybody the difference between the 80ohm and 250ohm versions, other than technical aspects. but for a Minidisc the 80ohm version would be what you'd want.

Other options are the AKG 271s or the Sennheiser 280 pro.

Jan 15, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orubasarot
They Beyerdynamic DT250s are definitely the best for this. The 271s and 280s are way too big, and I've owned all of these. I "heard" that the 250 ohm 250s sounded generally better, but I don't know if the improvement is worth having to carry around an amp (I had the 250 ohm versions so I had to do that). I still don't know why the hell I sold them, they were the perfect size too, as big as "portable" headphones can get before it looks ridiculous to wear them in public like the 271s and 280s.

Thanks for the input. *places order* *makes Chu-Moy amp*

Jan 16, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #5 of 11
Size aside, I personally think the DT250's look completely dumb.
tongue.gif

While the K271S are rather large, I have never had a problem wearing them in public and do so every day of the work week.
wink.gif

Jan 16, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #6 of 11
I'd also like to say that I have no problems wearing my 271s in public. Yeah, I may look like an idiot, but I can't hear the people laughing at me, so it's all good.
orphsmile.gif

I'm not sure if the MD player by itself would be enough to drive the 271s properly though...my iPod has a little bit of trouble sometimes, and from what I've read around here, the Sony MD players have a weaker headphone out than the iPod. If you can, bring your MD player to a local store and see if you can test drive it. That's what I did before deciding on my pair.

Whatever you end up getting, I hope you enjoy it!

Jan 17, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Langrath
I guess the question is not new. But if we only would write earlier not written questions this forum soon would be dead. And there are always new phones coming.
I shall have them to my minidisc Sony MZ-NH600. I want more bass on portables than home phones. Sensitive. Closed. Circumaural no disadvantage. Big enough not to press ears. Not bass shy. They don't have to be that small. Not in ear or canal phones.

Georg

Those headphones really don't exist...you'll need to go supra-aural with HD25-1 or change another part of your criteria...

That's just my opinion, though...

Jan 17, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illana
I'll go for the A900 all the way.

Definitely too big.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Those headphones really don't exist...you'll need to go supra-aural with HD25-1 or change another part of your criteria...

That's just my opinion, though...

I agree. Go canal phones, or the list I made above if you really want closed circumaural.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back