closed circumaural for $100ish with lots of isolation
Oct 13, 2008 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

monoxyde1234

Head-Fier
so i want to recommend a phone for my friend and he has like $100ish budget.
he stated he like it with a lot of isolation, portable, and circumaural if possible,
definitely no iems.

Oct 13, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 13
Most circumaural are open-backed. Open-backed ones don't have the best isolation. Closed are way better.Try the "Koss Pro3aat headphones". They are full sized, but not as big as other cans. You can get them on ebay for around $30ish new and they sound good. They have good highs, a decent mid-range and good bass.

EDIT: I re-worded my text a little bit, sorry for the mistypes.

Oct 13, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
circumaural are headphones that are open-backed. So isolation with those is impossible. Try the "Koss Pro3aat headphones". They are full sized, but not as big as other cans. You can get them on ebay for around $30ish new and they sound good. They have good highs, a decent mid-range and good bass.

Not all circumnaural headphones are open-backed.

That said, I hear the HD25SPs are good value for money and offer useful sound isolation.

Oct 13, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
circumaural are headphones that are open-backed. So isolation with those is impossible. Try the "Koss Pro3aat headphones". They are full sized, but not as big as other cans. You can get them on ebay for around $30ish new and they sound good. They have good highs, a decent mid-range and good bass.

lol, I think you might want to check up on your definition of circumaural
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #5 of 13
the denon ah-d1001 are great, full sized headphones offering isolation and incredible sq for $80.

They are quite portable and comfortable bc they r lightweight and supremely comfortable.

The sound is awesome and clear for less than $100. Clear highs. Present mids. And tight bass which can be improved with an ultra-portable fiio e3.

hope this helps.

Oct 13, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatwunguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the denon ah-d1001 are great, full sized headphones offering isolation and incredible sq for $80.

They are quite portable and comfortable bc they r lightweight and supremely comfortable.

The sound is awesome and clear for less than $100. Clear highs. Present mids. And tight bass which can be improved with an ultra-portable fiio e3.

hope this helps.

Thread title says "lots of isolation". Though I agree with the post above, the D1001's have TERRIBLE isolation for a closed headphone. Probably some of the worst on the market.

Oct 13, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 13
I would recommend the Roland RH-200, but if your friend values portability he won't like the rather large and extremely dumb-looking monitor phones.

Apparently, some of the midrange Sennheiser models fit your criteria. For example, the HD212 Pro. (note that the HD280 also looks really ridiculous and I don't know anyone who would wear them in public)

Oct 13, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spasticteapot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not all circumnaural headphones are open-backed.

That said, I hear the HD25SPs are good value for money and offer useful sound isolation.

If they're the same size as the regular HD25, they aren't circumaural.

Oct 13, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #9 of 13
Senn HD280s fit the bill except for the portability part. And as a poster said above look ridiculous in public.

Not circumaural, but a decent choice for isolation under $100 are AKG K81djs

Oct 13, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #11 of 13
Hmm.

First, as some other posters have said: Circumaural does not entail open. No idea where ZombieX gets this from. Circumaural just means "around the ear." Basically, the OP wants full-sized cans.

Two, the OP wants portable cans which isolate well. Circumaural portables never made sense in my brain, but maybe that's just me. As someone else has said, the Denon AH-D1001s do not isolate well. Furthermore, they're ugly worn. Ergo, they are not portable. Finally, IMO, they do not synergize well with the Fiio E3 amp.

Third, both Sennheiser HD25s are supra-aural. Also, I'm not sure if even the SPs qualify as "100-ish". Depends on what "ish" means, I guess.

Fourth, the HD280s are not bad suggestions, actually. However, people are rather divided over these cans with regards to SQ. It's one of those "controversial" headphones. As for looks: They look a hecukavalot better than the D1001s and, IMO, better than the cheaper Senns (HD201, 212, etc.). Do a Google Image search, for a preview.

Fifth, why is circumaural preferred? I noticed the "if possible", and was wondering why your friend likes these better. It's a bit odd for portability. We might be able to suggest a supra-aural can that gives you the particular features of circumaural cans you're looking for.

Oct 13, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #13 of 13
Sorry about that people, I mistyped my text in the 2nd post. It is fixed.

I read everyone else posts and have to agree that all the headphones mentioned are good choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back