Closed Circumaural & Best Store to Purchase From
Sep 13, 2005 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

forgueam

New Head-Fier
I have been glued to this forum and headphonereviews.org for the past week, and finally mustered up the courage to make a post.

I am completely new to the headphone world, and am learning quite a bit. I believe I have a situation similary to many others - a wife that likes to watch the TV rather loudly, and myself enjoying loud music. Therefore, I am looking to buy a nice set of closed circumaural headphones.

I typically listen to trip hop/drum and bass types of music (See my Last.FM profile for details on the exact music I listen too) - so I'm not sure how much that factors into my choice. Below is a list of the headphones I have found that seem to be up my alley:

Audio-Technica ATH-A900
Beyerdynamic DT77-80
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
AKG k271S
Beyerdynamic DT880 (Not closed, but lots of people seem to like them)

I guess I have a couple of questions:
1) Does anyone have any recommendations?
2) Where is the best place to purchase headphones? Prices, service, etc.
3) Where is the best place to learn more about headphones and what I should know before spending a sizeable amount of money on a pair?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice. This looks to be a great community of enthusiasts!

Aaron

Sep 13, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #2 of 3
Hey Aaron! Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet.

Well for Bassy music I'd go with the DT770-80s. Another option (cheaper) would be the Sony MDR-V6 (NOT V600!) You can get them for $69 at www.etronics.com. I would scratch the HD280 Pros off of your list, as they have a relatively weak bass.

Sep 13, 2005 at 2:58 PM Post #3 of 3
I have the ATH-A900s and really enjoy them, haven't tried those others you've listed (though they were all on my "possible" list before I decided on the A900s
biggrin.gif
). I tend to use my phones for games and general music listening (mainly the sort of stuff you hear on popular radio
smily_headphones1.gif
), and haven't had any problems.

I'm not really experienced in this headphone world yet though, so take my comments with a grain of salt
smily_headphones1.gif

And in response to Question 3: Here is the best place I ran into to find out more about headphones after a number of weeks of surfing the web
orphsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back