Closed Cans
Dec 20, 2011 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

StiffTacos

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

Looking for some new closed circumaurals for around $200. Contenders so far are M50, SRH840, and DT770 pro 80ohm.

Which is the best if I listen to rap and techno and like bass emphasis. Aesthetics and isolation are also large factors.

I would appreciate alternatives if there are any.

Thanks!

Dec 20, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:
Hey all,

Looking for some new closed circumaurals for around $200. Contenders so far are M50, SRH840, and DT770 pro 80ohm.

Which is the best if I listen to rap and techno and like bass emphasis. Aesthetics and isolation are also large factors.

I've been looking for something similar but gave up trying to find it in the $200 price range. For rap and techno, I'd say Beats Studio by a good margin... They do isolate thanks to active noise cancellation but they do leak a little bit. But the built in amplification really does wonders for it and makes them very punchy cans. Forget the Shures. They are boring as hell so would be unsuitable for techno. I've heard the DT770 pro (I think) and they're great but not that comfortable, plus aren't as bassy as the Beats. The Shures aren't very comfortable either. The M50 was my next consideration but concensus seems to indicate it's not that comfortable either. But can't go wrong for $130 or so on eBay BNIB so worth a try in my books.

FYI, I currently own the SRH840, DT770M-80 (high isolation version and which I didn't comment on and sound quite different from the Pros), and the Beats (which are going back to the store LOL).

Dec 20, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 12
Beats probably aren't an option, but you're recommending me headphones you're returning??
I've tried beats and I didn't like them much. They probably fill the isolation and aesthetics requirements dandily, but the sound was pretty meh.

Ok, Shures are out, what about Ultrasones? I've heard good things about those.

And care to give some more details about the DT770M-80? Whats the difference? Where can you buy them?

Thanks

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 12
If you're looking for a bass-emphasized headphone that doesn't suck or isn't extremely overpriced, the M50 is perfect. Beats (as you hopefully know if you're lurked on this forum at all) are at best mediocre compared to the rest of the available cans in their price range. I know you mentioned you weren't looking at Beats, but I had to vent anyways. I've seen too many uninformed people wearing them today.

Anyways....The M50 is a great entry-level audiophile choice for those wanting the extra bass. While the Shures best it in being more neutral, obviously that's not what you're looking for. The M50 was a great deal at $110 and is a bit overpriced now, but is still pretty much the standard recommendation for new audiophiles like you. They were my first serious can, and now I've owned plenty more and I still use them regularly.

And, since you're new here, I think it's time to introduce you to Head-Fi's unofficial motto: Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet.

Sincerely,

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 12
I The Beats have an undeserved reputation. I completely disregarded them before I tried them. Many head-fi'ers and people who immediately disregard the Beats because of the Dr Dre and Monster emblem likely haven't tried them either. The biggest reason why I am returning them is that they leak sound. Not much, but because I plan on using these in my office, I can't have that. If I had a choice between the Beats and the Shures, I'd keep the Beats. Their mids are a little congested, but the bass quality, built-in amplification, and pure comfort makes them actually quite ideal for my purpose. Build quality kind of sucks but that's another story.

Again, I had my eyes on my M50s but just reading how people comment they're not the most comfortable, and some people just outright hate them, turned me off.

The DT770M's are meant for drummers. It's a very different sound from the regular DT770 but they reduce outside noise by something like a whopping 35db. I'll be putting mine up on the market soon...

As for Ultrasones, this is what I went for. I figure why not go for the best, so I picked up the Ed 8 Palladium LOL.

Having said that, someone at our last local head-fi meet brought a pair of the lower end Ultrasones. I can't remember the model. Maybe 650s? I don't know. He said retail on them was about $400 or $500. But... They were the worst headphones at the meet by far. They were built like crap (completely plastic) and sounded exactly like they were built. It was very eye opening (especially for the poor guy who bought them).

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #7 of 12
I might also add.. Another good thing about the Beats is that you can usually try them. Head to your local Best Buy and wherever and they should have a pair you can try out. Just make sure you can use your own source...

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 12

I don't believe it is undeserved. I will admit, the only Beats I've A/B tested against my own personal ones is the Beats Studio. In terms of resolving detail, it was a bit quicker and better than my HTF600, but those were $30 headphones. In terms of sound quality, they were a full step behind the SR80i and the ATH-M50s. I'd like to test them again against my Superlux HD681s, because it wouldn't surprise me if they could beat the Beats in terms of detail retrieval. I was not impressed at all by the Beats Studio in terms of sound quality or build quality, but they were rather comfortable, but not as comfortable as the HTF600s with velour pads.

Also, I agree on the Ultrasones. I very much dislike their sound signature and I just feel that, by the measurements and subjective reviews, they are way behind most brands in terms of value. 
Quote:
I The Beats have an undeserved reputation. I completely disregarded them before I tried them. Many head-fi'ers and people who immediately disregard the Beats because of the Dr Dre and Monster emblem likely haven't tried them either. The biggest reason why I am returning them is that they leak sound. Not much, but because I plan on using these in my office, I can't have that. If I had a choice between the Beats and the Shures, I'd keep the Beats. Their mids are a little congested, but the bass quality, built-in amplification, and pure comfort makes them actually quite ideal for my purpose. Build quality kind of sucks but that's another story.

Again, I had my eyes on my M50s but just reading how people comment they're not the most comfortable, and some people just outright hate them, turned me off.

The DT770M's are meant for drummers. It's a very different sound from the regular DT770 but they reduce outside noise by something like a whopping 35db. I'll be putting mine up on the market soon...

As for Ultrasones, this is what I went for. I figure why not go for the best, so I picked up the Ed 8 Palladium LOL.

Having said that, someone at our last local head-fi meet brought a pair of the lower end Ultrasones. I can't remember the model. Maybe 650s? I don't know. He said retail on them was about $400 or $500. But... They were the worst headphones at the meet by far. They were built like crap (completely plastic) and sounded exactly like they were built. It was very eye opening (especially for the poor guy who bought them).

Dec 21, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
I don't believe it is undeserved. I will admit, the only Beats I've A/B tested against my own personal ones is the Beats Studio. In terms of resolving detail, it was a bit quicker and better than my HTF600, but those were $30 headphones. In terms of sound quality, they were a full step behind the SR80i and the ATH-M50s.

Having not heard the M50 I can't comment. I have the SR80 but they are a completely different beast than the Beats so in the world of headphones, that's like apples vs. oranges. Being open vs. closed does that to you. The Grados are completely useless in any environment that isn't your house. Can't even use them in the bedroom if your partner is sleeping beside you LOL. But again, as OP mentioned, he likes rap and techno and the Beats are hard to "beat" in that department. Not worth their full retail for sure but I got them at a decent discount.

BTW OP I might add - since your budget is $200, you're only scratching the surface and can expect compromises in every department. Otherwise if you can spend a bit more, I'd tell you to find a used pair of Denon D2000s and call it a day.
L3000.gif

Dec 21, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #10 of 12
That's true, I wasn't comparing them straight up, though. I still contend that Beats are outclassed in terms of detail retrieval and ability to render bass. I wouldn't suggest the SR80s for this, of course, but I'm just saying that it felt like for overall clarity the Beats were behind. I'd much rather suggest something like a DT770 or a DJ variant of a Shure. 

Quote:

Having not heard the M50 I can't comment. I have the SR80 but they are a completely different beast than the Beats so in the world of headphones, that's like apples vs. oranges. Being open vs. closed does that to you. The Grados are completely useless in any environment that isn't your house. Can't even use them in the bedroom if your partner is sleeping beside you LOL. But again, as OP mentioned, he likes rap and techno and the Beats are hard to "beat" in that department. Not worth their full retail for sure but I got them at a decent discount.

BTW OP I might add - since your budget is $200, you're only scratching the surface and can expect compromises in every department. Otherwise if you can spend a bit more, I'd tell you to find a used pair of Denon D2000s and call it a day.
L3000.gif

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #11 of 12
OK so general consensus:

1. Don't get beats, not cost effective
2. Ultrasone's suck
3. M50 and DT770 sound nice, but are uncomfortable
4. Get D2000 if there is a cheap used pair

Any other advice guys? Portable amps? 

Dec 23, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
OK so general consensus:

1. Don't get beats, not cost effective
2. Ultrasone's suck
3. M50 and DT770 sound nice, but are uncomfortable
4. Get D2000 if there is a cheap used pair

Any other advice guys? Portable amps? 

If you're looking for a cheap portable amp, the JDS Labs CMoyBB and FiiO E6 will do the job. For the higher-end portable amps you'd be looking at a few hundred dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back