Closed Cans with Largest Soundstage?
Mar 31, 2003 at 3:54 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by doobooloo
First of all, how much isolation is 3db of isolation?

Secondly, how can it let out almost nothing but block little? Of course, that would be completely ideal for my situation - leak almost no sound yet be able to hear what's going around - but is that technically possible?

I guess all I really want to know is, will my roommate get annoyed at my music playing through the CD3000s in a very quiet dorm room?
tongue.gif

When I'm wearing Grados, or Beyer DT880s, or AK K501s, or just about any open phone, I constantly hear "Turn it down!" from my lovely wife. When wearing the Beyer DT-770 Pro, or DT-831, and even the CD3000s, at a comfortably loud level, she doesn't say it.......I least I can't hear it.
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2003 at 4:56 PM Post #17 of 23
Best soundstage-- Sony R10s or the more affordable CD3000. Problem is, the CD3Ks, although "closed" allow every bit as much sound to leak as any open phone. Maybe look into the AT woodies, they may block sound more effectively.

Mark

Mar 31, 2003 at 7:11 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Maybe look into the AT woodies, they may block sound more effectively.

My W1000 provides some isolation from outside noise, I usually can't hear the phone with music playing. They don't leak a lot either, if they are up loud and someone is sitting right next to you they will hear a little, but not from any distance away.

Mar 31, 2003 at 8:12 PM Post #19 of 23
Don't mean to throw a wrench in to the thread. But, how about closed cans that have the smallest soundstage?

I know any "studio" type model will have little to none, but how about the DT831 or any of the AT's?

Apr 1, 2003 at 5:54 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by doobooloo
First of all, how much isolation is 3db of isolation?

Secondly, how can it let out almost nothing but block little? Of course, that would be completely ideal for my situation - leak almost no sound yet be able to hear what's going around - but is that technically possible?

I guess all I really want to know is, will my roommate get annoyed at my music playing through the CD3000s in a very quiet dorm room?
tongue.gif

Doobloo,

3db is half the amount of sound. Depending on the frequency these cans will knock the outside sound down by about half. The Ety's have the largest isolation of any cans at 23db of attenuation. In other words you aren't going to hear much with them.

Your roommate won't hear a thing FROM your Sonys unless you turn them up so loud it would deafen you also. I don't know how but the cans let more sound in than out, but they do. My wife can't hear what I'm listening to, but I can hear her quite easily when wearing the headphones.

Hope this helps.

Apr 1, 2003 at 6:05 AM Post #23 of 23
My strong super-ego tells me to quit while I am ahead and enjoy the music...my id however taunts me and urges me to invest in some CD3000's...W2002's...R10's...K1000's....and Omega II's.

Oh why can't I be happy
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back