Closed Cans with Good Mids
Oct 18, 2004 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Jman999

Head-Fier
What closed cans (need to provide at least moderate isolation) out there have good, fun, forward-sounding mids? I don't know want to specify a price, because if there is one that is particularly good, but expensive, I might save up for it.

So far the good closed cans I know of are:

AKG 271s - ?
AT A500/700/900 - somewhat honky mids
Senn. HD-25-1 - analytical mids
Beyer. Dt 770/80 pro - recessed
Beyer Dt. 250-250- ?have heard balanced
Sony MDR-V6/V7- recessed
Ultrasone HFI 550/650- ?
Beyer. DT 660 -?

Which of these has good mids?

Thanks,
-Jonathan.

Oct 18, 2004 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 15
The K271 has excellent, and quite forward mids. It's all around sound, when you find an amp with good synergy with it (the K271 is quite amp dependent), is quite good overall and I really enjoy my set. The isolation is excellent and works well to quiet the fan noise from my computer.

Oct 18, 2004 at 12:36 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by donovansmith
The K271 has excellent, and quite forward mids. It's all around sound, when you find an amp with good synergy with it (the K271 is quite amp dependent), is quite good overall and I really enjoy my set. The isolation is excellent and works well to quiet the fan noise from my computer.

(Copy and paste from another thread I just posted to): I found the 271s to be quite horrible, with badly rolled off highs. I sold them and kept my A900s, which I find to be much better in all respects.

Oct 18, 2004 at 12:47 AM Post #6 of 15
lol @ commando

Anyways, as I've noted in my signature, the AKG K271 Studio has an incredible lush midrange. The soundstage that they present is as if you are sitting in a room with the band, rather than the blob of sound with little separation that you get with A900's.

I havent heard the Beyers or the Ultrasones, but out of the 271's, the A900's and the Sonys the AKG's definately win for their mids. This was pretty much unanimously agreed upon at a meet that I attended yesterday.

Don't get me wrong, there are things that the A900's do very well, but there are also things where the 271's wipe the floor with them.
wink.gif

Oct 18, 2004 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 15
I probably won't have an amp for a while, but I think's it's important anyways because if an amp will get me the sound I want then I may have to save up. I am also very interested in how the DT-250-250 mids stack up to the AKG 271s mids.

-Jonathan.

Oct 18, 2004 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 15
My AKG's sound fine out of my av320 unamped, but this is not the norm. Most portables and bookshelf stereo's and the like do not do them justice. A few recievers seem to do a good job. I would suggest getting a pimeta or at least a cmoy or something like that just in case your source cant drive them well on its own. As for the DT-250's... cant say anything about them unfortunately.

Oct 20, 2004 at 12:22 AM Post #10 of 15
You shouldn't be considering the HD25 unless you want portability.
IMO the mids on the HD25 is harsher than on the DT250-250, and isn't particularly great.

The Beyer DT250-250 do mids quite well, IMO. Compared to the AKG K271S it's hard to say, but I'd say that the K271 has the better mids of the two, but they portray mids a bit differently. As philodox noted, the mids on the K271 are very lush and thick, but superbly detailed. The mids on the DT250 are more upfront and direct, though not necessarily more clear than on the K271 (it loses out in detail). However, the DT250 is a more balanced phone. Part of what makes the mids on the K271 stand out is because the bass and treble are somewhat recessed. Although the mids on the K271 are, from a technical standpoint, better than that on the DT250, I'd say that the DT250 is more fun to listen to.

Oct 20, 2004 at 3:50 AM Post #11 of 15
on the Ultrasone's...

I've got the HFI-550 DJ1's.....my friend said that they sounded as if they had the mids sucked out of them...my ears are fairly inexperienced so I'm not really sure...I've tried EQing the mids up a bit and it didn't sound quite right...so....

I think another headfi member said that there was something awkward about the mids on the HFI-650s...that they just sounded wrong....

Oct 20, 2004 at 10:25 AM Post #12 of 15
Not sure whether you care about portability. I liked the AKG a lot when I heard them (and compared them to other headphones). I think that among portable full-sized headphones, the AKG 271 is the one to beat when it comes to sound quality only. Very nice mids and very comfortable as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back