Closed cans with an amp - isolation and no sibilance
Apr 3, 2004 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

dougli

500+ Head-Fier
Been searching through a lot of posts here, and all I can find is comments that tell me which cans NOT to get for my requirements. I'm looking for a set of portable closed headphones with good isolation which aren't bass-heavy and aren't bright and/or sibilant, but are detailed and balanced. They would be used with a Total Airhead and iRiver 350. Ety's are out. I've never been able to get used to their in-ear torture. Custom earmolds didn't work out for me because the molds changed their sound to be thin and shrill (both 4P and 4S).

Anyway, it's starting to look like what I'm looking for doesn't exist...anyone have an opinion to the contrary?
confused.gif

Other "portable closed" cans that didn't work out:
DT770
DT880
DT831
CD3000
A1000

Apr 3, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #2 of 17
HD25-1 (not to be confused with the HD25 SP)

Balanced sound, closed, extreme isolation, lightweight, very efficient and it is loud with no amp.

Apr 3, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 17
Other than the HD-25, you might try AKG 271S, or DT-250. Though the latter don't provide much isolation (2db less than the 770, according to Beyer's specs).

Apr 3, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 17
OK, the K271S supporters have weighed in, and actually that's the one I was going to try before I posted. Just like a lot of other cans, people seem to either really like them, or to not hear what all the fuss is about, so I'll just have to try them for myself. Thanks guys.

Apr 3, 2004 at 10:28 PM Post #6 of 17
The HD25-1 is probably one of the best portable headphones. It is supra-aural and smaller than the 271S. Also weights less. The 271S is fine though. Try them both. The HD25-1 does not get much hype and in fact it is the most underated headphone, but it is a great sounding headphone, but it takes a lot of burn in time. Mr. Meier raves about them. It is also expensive in the USA...about $180.

Apr 3, 2004 at 10:53 PM Post #7 of 17
"Detailed and balanced" is a good way to describe the K271S. They have a very "audiophile-like" sound that is technically at a high level, but can be quite boring at times.

Apr 3, 2004 at 10:56 PM Post #8 of 17
Never heard the SKG 271s, and only briefly heard the hd25-1... but for portable use, isn't the 271 going to be like wearing a house on your head? The 25-1 is much smaller, so that could be a factor..

Edit - Umm, AKG not SKG

Apr 3, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by plainsong
Then again, you did use the trackmasters for portable use.. oh the things we do for good sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

...and the trackmaster needs an amp. I do not know if the Total Airhead is good for it.

From what Dr Meier and other people who are familiar with the Ultrasone headphones say, the Ultrasone HFI 500 DJ1 is a very neutral sounding headphone which sounds somewhere between the 650 trackmaster and the DVD....very good for studio work, but they tend to become bright at high SPLs. They are cheaper than the K271S and HD25-1. Supposedly they isolate very well since they are designed for djing (although the neutral frequency response lends itself more for studio headphones rather than dj headphones). These work really good without an amp and are loud. I have not heard them personally...it is all what I have heard from other users.

Apr 3, 2004 at 11:35 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by DJGeorgeT
The HD25-1 is probably one of the best portable headphones. It is supra-aural and smaller than the 271S. Also weights less. The 271S is fine though. Try them both. The HD25-1 does not get much hype and in fact it is the most underated headphone, but it is a great sounding headphone, but it takes a lot of burn in time. Mr. Meier raves about them. It is also expensive in the USA...about $180.

I would say that Jan Meier likes a somewhat bright sound (even at 120 ohms), given his preference for the DT931, and his high opinion of the DT831. For this reason I've steering away from the HD25-1. But I may just need to get one and send it up against a 271S...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 11:39 PM Post #13 of 17
The trackmasters don't absolutely need an amp. They benefit from one, but don't need one to sound great. Now the cord is going to be very long for portable use, and they're as huge as the Senn 280's. But you may or may not care about that. It's difficult to comment precisely on them since I don't have them anymore (I didn't want to let them go, but I was in need of an upgrade badly), but Bangraman's latest comments more or less shadow my thoughts, mostly less. I'm not a huge fan of closed headphones, but these things were great.

edit - My amp was the porta corda II, so I'll wager a guess that the new total airhead should do fine.

Apr 3, 2004 at 11:51 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by dougli
I would say that Jan Meier likes a somewhat bright sound (even at 120 ohms), given his preference for the DT931, and his high opinion of the DT831. For this reason I've steering away from the HD25-1. But I may just need to get one and send it up against a 271S...
very_evil_smiley.gif

No canalphones? You could try the .Shure E2 . I think their sound is precisely what you are looking for based on your description. The bass is there, but just the right amount. The mids are warm and very present. The highs roll off, but they are still there. I find them to be a lot more comfortable to use compared to the ER4 or ER6 as they do not go inside your ear all the way and with foamies, they are great. Those who really like bright phones generally do not like the E2, but I do like them.

Apr 3, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #15 of 17
Well... I have certain problems with the Ultrasones as portable cans. They do work very well unamped as well as amped, do isolate nearly as well as the K271's and are brighter than the AKG item. There is a teeny bit more sibilance to be found than the K271. The good thing about the cable of the K271 is that you can get Zu or Stefan Audioart to make you a custom cable in any length you want (I'll probably be ordering two lengths from Zu).

The DT250-80 would be another one that could be thrown in, but the problem with them (and the 250) would be that they have the least isolation of the sub-$200 closed cans I've had. And while they are for the most part docile phones, they do have an odd harshmess in the mids from time to time.

The problem with the E2 would be that you're giving up a fair amount of resolution for a rolled-off sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back