Closed cans: There must be something in between the DT770 & D5000
Jun 1, 2010 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

shane55

Headphoneus Supremus
In a quandary... 

I really like both of these cans.

The Denon AH-D5000 is wonderful. Comfortable, rich – lush sound. Very good detail and highs that are not overly exaggerated. Great for shutting out the world and relaxing to some acoustic music.

The Beyer DT770/600 ohm is brilliant. Comfortable, detailed sound with outstanding clarity and soundstage.

The BASS is the 'major' difference between these two... and the problem. The D5000 has too much and the DT770 has none.

The D5000 has exaggerated bass from about 150hz down, the DT770 drops off the chart starting at 200hz.

So… is there a closed can somewhere in between?

If I had to pick a sonic signature, it would be the D5000. What I want in a closed can is to kick back, shut out the world and enjoy the music (anything analytical will be performed by the DT880). The D5000 does not isolate as well as the DT700, but it’s adequate and overall the sound is beautiful (much like the HD600 – but with better highs).

What fits the bill?

shane

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #2 of 11
If bass is what you want, get the gel pads off of B&H for the DT770s. No one has really talked about those kinds of ear pads only leather vs velour. I use the gels on my DT990 and from velour to gel, bass literally increases 100%. The D2000 were bass light in comparison so I can only imagine what the bass would be like on the DT770.

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
If bass is what you want, get the gel pads off of B&H for the DT770s. No one has really talked about those kinds of ear pads only leather vs velour. I use the gels on my DT990 and from velour to gel, bass literally increases 100%. The D2000 were bass light in comparison so I can only imagine what the bass would be like on the DT770.

I'd always wondered what the gel pads sounded like. Thanks for clearing that up. Looks like I'll be getting some gels for my DT990s.

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 11
I've had my gels for about a year, and I like them. The bad things about them, they have like a plastic outside to them, so if its hot out prepare to sweat. With the increase in bass, means more recessed mids. I only use my DT990s for electronica/dubstep/DNB so it works out in the end, just giving you the heads up!

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:

If there was bass to boost that might work. But it's really not there.
I understand the limitations of the graph, but it's a pretty good representation of what I'm experiencing... just moreso.

Where the lines cross at about 150hz (my measurements show it at about 200 hz), the DT770 just dives.

I guess I wasn't very clear... as I didn't state it, but I'm not looking for mods or ways to alter the sound of these cans. I'm looking for other cans.

shane

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #7 of 11
Awesome! That's mainly what I listen to so that should work out well. I also rarely have heat buildup/sweating issues with cans so they really seem like a nice fit. Thanks!

Jun 1, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 11
woa woa woa.Gel pads on the DT990? You gotta be an extreme bass-lover if you think the bass on the 990's is lacking.

To the OP: The J$money pads are pretty popular for the beyers.. you could prolly try those out?  But since you said you're looking for another set of cans, you can go with the Royal Flush and complete your Beyer collection with the DT990's. I have nothing but appraisal and good experience with these headphones.

I think you will be pleased with them; considering they pack in all the characteristics of the 770's / 880's plus a notch or two (or maybe 3
biggrin.gif
)  of the Denon's. I think it would be an excellent purchase.

I still don't know how much quantity the bass in the Denon D5000 differ to the 990's, It may be equal or it may be less. Maybe give Skylab a pm? You can't really go wrong with B&H's fantastic deal, They still have the 30 day money back, so worse case scenerio is that you'll be loosing out on $10 in shipping if you decided not to keep them. 

Jun 1, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
woa woa woa.Gel pads on the DT990? You gotta be an extreme bass-lover if you think the bass on the 990's is lacking.

To the OP: The J$money pads are pretty popular for the beyers.. you could prolly try those out?  But since you said you're looking for another set of cans, you can go with the Royal Flush and complete your Beyer collection with the DT990's. I have nothing but appraisal and good experience with these headphones.

I think you will be pleased with them; considering they pack in all the characteristics of the 770's / 880's plus a notch or two (or maybe 3
biggrin.gif

I still don't know how much quantity the bass in the Denon D5000 differ to the 990's, It may be equal or it may be less. Maybe give Skylab a pm? You can't really go wrong with B&H's fantastic deal, They still have the 30 day money back, so worse case scenerio is that you'll be loosing out on $10 in shipping if you decided not to keep them. 

I like it when my headphones punch me in the face. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 1, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #10 of 11
Jun 2, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:

biggrin.gif

Well David, you know.... I thunked about the DT990, but for open cans I've got the DT880/600 and they do what I need in that 'style'. I really want something closed.
As I type this I'm listening to the D5000: A recording of Solti - CSO doing Debussy and it's lush and rich and everything you'd want it to be. I'm closed off to the world, and I like it. The D5000 is amazing for Classical and other acoustic music. As much as I like the Beyers, they just don't put me in another space like the D5000, which are involving and enveloping.

My DT880's are great for editing and precision. They are clarity and detail. They're not going anywhere.
In the DT770 I was hoping for more 'escapism' in the seclusion. That's what I want in a closed can. The D5000 would be the perfect cans for this... with just a little less bass. That's all, and they are soooo close! 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back