Closed cans sonically in between the V6/7506 and M50x?
Feb 13, 2018 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Kevin Brown

1000+ Head-Fier
I had the M50x's for a while, and thought they had way too much bass.

I had the V6/7506's for a while, both of them, and I didn't feel either of them had enough low end. Way too bright sounding.

This isn't a common model, but I have a pair of Onkyo H500M's, that are almost there, but the low end is a little too pumped up too.

I have a few open back headphones that I really like a lot. So now I'm looking for closed cans that I can also like.

I guess I'm not after "neutral" or "transparent", but slightly "fun" but still balanced. I am not a basshead, but the natural room gain (low end boost) I get with my stereo/home theater, is great.

Feb 13, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 10
You might want to look at the Meze 99 Classics. I don’t find the bass as bloated as the 50’s and they love EQ more than any headphone I have. I have two eq spots on my QP1R and one is set for the Meze as they love it and don’t have one for the other. They are more of a on ear headphone if you have a problem with something touching your ears but are very comfortable and have light clamp force.

Feb 13, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 10
I will look into those, thanks. Indeed, I have on-ears that I like, and over ears too that I like.

Feb 13, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 10
Just looked at your signature and have a pair of RS1’s and like the original pads more than G cush as the sound is better. Not sure about the K242 MP but do have a pair of 240 Sextett’s not sure of the build. Also am fixing a pair of PX-100’s for a fellow head-fier.

Feb 13, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 10
The original PX-100's are my mobile cans. I do tone down the bass a little, but I like them so much I bought another pair before they got too hard to get a hold of. I tried the PX-100 II's, and didn't like them at all.

"MP" is middle period maybe? There was more than one flavor of Sextett. Can't remember all the details although I used to know!

... Good thing I take notes:

AKG K240 Sextett EP (most bass), MP (medium bass), LP (least bass, but the most open and airy) ==>> No !! All have similar levels of bass.

early period, middle period, late period. I had them all at one point. :)

Feb 13, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 10
Understand the nomenclature just don’t know which ones my are. Most of my amps will run them and the Amps and Sound Kenzie is awesome but my old Hafler TA1100 probably is just a bit better.

Feb 13, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #7 of 10
- If it has orange radiators, it's EP.
- If it has whitish radiators, maybe with orange around the edge, and no pin holes in the baffle, it's MP.
- If it has whitish radiators with pin holes in the baffle, it's LP.

:-D

Feb 13, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 10
MP’s I believe.

Feb 13, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #9 of 10
Try MSR7's... the bass is less, but much better controlled than the M50X. It is still a bright headphone... unfortunately I've never heard the V6/7506 so cannot compare the brightness.

OPPO PM3's are reportedly in that same sound signature ballpark. Unfortunately I haven't listen to them either.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #10 of 10
I have the MRS7's on my list, but I haven't researched them enough yet. I have seen the comments about them being bright though. But bright can be OK if balanced by the lows, you know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back