Closed cans recomendations
Aug 23, 2009 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

slbowing

New Head-Fier
I want to get a pair of closed cans for use with my laptop's sound card and some ipod usage. I already own some Klipsch Image S4 (which I highly recommend for IEMs for the price) for my ipod but now I want something more substantial. I want closed cans and I do not have an amplifier. I want something with a low impedance that delivers a good amount of bass. My price range is around $250. Ultrasone HFI 780 looked promising. Any ideas or suggestions.

Aug 23, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 12
There are lots of very happy Denon D2000 owners here. These are pretty darn good in stock form but if you like to tinker, the Markl mod opens lots of tuning options. Also I've read a lot that a nice custom cable really makes them sing. So that'd be something to consider later on.

Aug 23, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #3 of 12
Ultrasone HFI-780. Don't need an amp and have great bass (both quality and quantity).

Aug 23, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #4 of 12
DT 150's!
biggrin.gif
problem is they don't have low impedance, 250 to be exact... but to my surprise just for experimental purposes I ran it directly through my laptop, and its not that bad... I thought it would be a disaster without a dedicated amplifier, but it holds good... Bass is a monster on these cans!
I cannot compare them to the Ultrasone HFI 780's but I doubt they would be a match regarding sound accuracy, though the DT 150's are not "popular", and fancy looking as the Ultrasone's, but for the money I cannot see a closed headphone to match the DT's... My 2 cents, good luck... Cheers!

Aug 24, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #5 of 12
The Denon AH-D2000 are great if you can find them in your price range. Very easy to listen to and the most comfortable headphones I've used. A lot of the reputable dealers have them closer to $300 now though, and I'm not so sure they're worth that stock.

I also want to recommend the overlooked Ultrasone HFI-680. Compared to the AH-D2000 they still have bass impact and good extension, but tighter. The mids are a little more forwards and treble is a touch smoother. I like them a little more than the Denons. By extension the HFI-780 is probably very nice, but it's not supposed as balanced across the range as the 680. Bass is stronger and treble is more aggressive. I haven't heard the 780.

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #6 of 12
I also found a pair of Ultrasone Pro 750's for $230 which is really cheap. Anyone have any personal experience with the 750's?

Aug 24, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12thgear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denon AH-D2000 are great if you can find them in your price range. Very easy to listen to and the most comfortable headphones I've used. A lot of the reputable dealers have them closer to $300 now though, and I'm not so sure they're worth that stock.

I bought mine at that price about half a year ago, I think they're worth it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #8 of 12
I'm happy with my Ultrasone HFI-550, but I strongly urge anyone who is considering a pair of Ultrasones to spend at least a minute with the phones on their head. These are not lightweight headphones, and there is plenty of clamping force : not quite ES7s on day one, but approaching that. The earcups are comfy tho, so I dont want to overstate it - just audition a pair before you spend any money, OK ?

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #9 of 12
My vote goes for the AKG K271 MKII. I have heard quite a few closed cans and these are by far my favourite. Sound wonderful straight out of my iPod and MacBook, plus theyre ridiculously comfortable. I cant recommend them highly enough.

Aug 28, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #12 of 12
Update

I bought some lightly used Pro 750's for $200. A good deal for some already burned in headphones. Ill post a response when I get them in and put in some listening time into them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back