Closed cans on budget
Jun 27, 2015 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

saywhuut

New Head-Fier
Well I was originally going to go for a nice open tight punchy bass head phone but reality kicked in regarding needing a good amp too. I'm on a tight budget and need help for a closed can that is punchy in bass good soundstage and will be driven nicely with my PA2v2.

Was thinking about the DT-770 (which ohm would be best for my needs??). From what I read the 32 ohm is the most recessed of them all?

Any other options I should look into within the ~$200 price range?

Jun 27, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #3 of 11
  It's hard for us to jugde how much bass is good enough for you but you can check out Soundmagic HP150.

Thanks for the info.  I'm not a bass head, but like the strong punch of a kick drum and bass grooves in jazz fusion/rock/etc.  How do these compare to the DT-770?  

Would the PA2V2 be able to drive the 80ohm version and still give justice regarding sound characteristic?

Jun 27, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #4 of 11
Thanks for the info.  I'm not a bass head, but like the strong punch of a kick drum and bass grooves in jazz fusion/rock/etc.  How do these compare to the DT-770?  

Would the PA2V2 be able to drive the 80ohm version and still give justice regarding sound characteristic?

Here are measurements for the HP-100 model:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SoundMAGICHP100.pdf

Some people say that they are the same as the HP150; some say the HP100 is just a bit lighter on the bass. Note that the bass emphasis is in the <100hz range. That's what I like about my HP150s. It's bass emphasis like one gets with a sub, not from speakers/headphones where the upper mids are emphasized. So I love them for rock and jazz.

You should check out this sub <$100 portable amp shootout: http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-11-1-amps-compared. Rankings follow the reviews. The PA2V2 didn't do nearly as well as the FiiO E11. And now FiiO has updated that model with the E11K. Unless you are particularly attached to the PA2V2 for some reason, I'd suggest the E11K for even less money (check Amazon).

Jun 27, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #5 of 11
Here are measurements for the HP-100 model:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SoundMAGICHP100.pdf

Some people say that they are the same as the HP150; some say the HP100 is just a bit lighter on the bass. Note that the bass emphasis is in the <100hz range. That's what I like about my HP150s. It's bass emphasis like one gets with a sub, not from speakers/headphones where the upper mids are emphasized. So I love them for rock and jazz.

You should check out this sub <$100 portable amp shootout: http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-11-1-amps-compared. Rankings follow the reviews. The PA2V2 didn't do nearly as well as the FiiO E11. And now FiiO has updated that model with the E11K. Unless you are particularly attached to the PA2V2 for some reason, I'd suggest the E11K for even less money (check Amazon).

Really appreciate the info.  Only reason I mentioned PA2V2 is b/c I already have it, and am on a pretty tight budget.  The HP150 seems like a nice option and cheaper than the DT-770

Jun 27, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 11
Really appreciate the info.  Only reason I mentioned PA2V2 is b/c I already have it, and am on a pretty tight budget.  The HP150 seems like a nice option and cheaper than the DT-770

If you already have it, then you are all good with the headphones you have discussed so far :)

Jul 22, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #7 of 11
If you already have it, then you are all good with the headphones you have discussed so far
smily_headphones1.gif

About to buy the HP150 then fan into quite a few instances of the durability of these headphones not holding up.  Is this an issue that is enough reason to avoid these headphones??

Jul 23, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #9 of 11
  About to buy the HP150 then fan into quite a few instances of the durability of these headphones not holding up.  Is this an issue that is enough reason to avoid these headphones??

All the headphones I have has never been broken, but then again I don't throw arround with my headphones which I suspect alot those people complaining about the build quality is doing. 

Jul 26, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #10 of 11
Thank you all for your input.  My HP150 set just arrived.  Does the "impact & punchiness" of the bass improve after burn in?  Or is that unrealistic for these cans?  I really like the clarity, sound-stage, and sound signature so far.  Just want a bit more in the bass. 

Jul 26, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #11 of 11
  Thank you all for your input.  My HP150 set just arrived.  Does the "impact & punchiness" of the bass improve after burn in?  Or is that unrealistic for these cans?  I really like the clarity, sound-stage, and sound signature so far.  Just want a bit more in the bass. 

If you just want more bass quantity, you can boost the bass with an equalizer. That may not bring the impact and punch to your desired level, though.

For future reference, here is a thread where the bass punch of headphones is ranked, but note that the emphasis is on basshead stuff.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-best-bass-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club

Users who are viewing this thread

Back