Closed Cans for Work
Nov 19, 2009 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

prescient

Head-Fier
I've been out of the loop for a bit so hopefully some folks can help me out here, and yes I've poked through some threads for ideas =). I'm looking for a closed can to listen to while at work.

For some background, I'm currently using a Headroom Total BitHead while at work powered via USB. Ideally I would like something with a sound signature similar to my Senn HD580s. I also have Shure SE530's that I like quite a bit, and the only reason I don't use these at work is that I hate pulling them in and out every time someone wants to talk to me. At any rate, if someone can recommend a closed can for less than $200 that would work with my current setup it would be much appreciated.

Edit: Ideally these would be circumaural though I'm not sure if non-circumaural closed headphones even exist.

Nov 19, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 12
Shure makes the "Push to Hear" component that you can put in-line with the 530's. Push the button and Voila the outside world comes in. It would be a lot cheaper than a decent set of closed phones. Unless you really want to buy another pair
wink.gif
And there's nothing wrong with that either!!!

Nov 19, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #3 of 12
I actually have the PTH thing kicking around but another pair of cans wont kill me. Plus if I have my shures in people just looking over my cube don't notice I have headphones on and start talking to me while I just sit around ignoring them.

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #5 of 12
If you're not too worried about the push-to -hear thing, I'd also suggest the HD 25 I ii.

Nov 19, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 12
x 2 on both the HD 25-1 II's and the SRH-840's. I'd probably lean towards the former for durability and a lower profile.

Nov 19, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #8 of 12
I use my HD25-1 at work and by now lugged over my Headroom Cosmic to amp it. I guess I'll add a little external DAC in the while. Isolating, little leakage, quite comfortable... I'd guess I'd get a big Beyer or AKG for ultimate comfort, but the HD25-1 is quite the thing to have.

Nov 20, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #11 of 12
Well thanks for all the options guys. I ended up with the SRH840s. $145 from guitar center so I can't complain. Plus I got a huge itch to pick them up today as the guy who works in the cubicle next to me had his phone on vibrate all day. It was driving me nuts! Tomorrow will be much better!

Nov 20, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #12 of 12
I have to agree with the Shure SRH840s or the 440s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back