Closed cans for use with maxed ppa?
Dec 31, 2004 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

widds2v

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for a pair of cans, sub-$500, to use with a maxed out PPA. Not sure if it will have diamond buffers, can't find out for another 2 days, not even sure if that will effect the list of probable cans. Full-size cans, I have shure e5s already for canalphones. Like the sound of my A900s, just want something to use with an amp when I feel like going all out (and will have my A900s when I'm too lazy to plug in my amp ><).

Any ideas?

Dec 31, 2004 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 25
CD3000!

I simply loved my CD3K headphones on my maxed JMT PPA (Burr Brown OPA627 opamps, diamond buffer, crossfeed/bass boost).

You can them for under 400 new, and around 300 gently used. They are closed, high quality, and very comfortable
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2004 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 25
AKG K271 Studio + Zu Mobius AKG sounds great out of a PPA
cool.gif

Jan 1, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #4 of 25
Little hesitant of the CD3k for two reasons. First people say they are super bright, which I don't like.. did not like the highs of the Ety Er4 at all (other than the awesome detail). Secondly arn't they truley not "closed"? They are spec'd for closed, but leak way too much to be considered closed by many. Might as well go open if your not going to have a closed can
smily_headphones1.gif

AK271, heard it has really good mids, hows the bass?

Jan 1, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by widds2v
AK271, heard it has really good mids, hows the bass?

They are bass shy compared to the A900, but their mids, highs and overall sound signature make up for that in my opinion.
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
AKG K271 Studio + Zu Mobius AKG sounds great out of a PPA
cool.gif

LOL...now I want a PPA to go with the 271's I'm getting...ahhhh! Somebody stop me from spending my money before I don't have any left to buy textbooks this semester!

Jan 1, 2005 at 4:13 AM Post #7 of 25
Not to thread crap, but why do you need closed cans? I'm only curious as some of the better-sounding headphones are open designs.

Btw, my Beyerdynamic DT440s are open-type and they leak very little sound. My iPod stock earbuds leaked more sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2005 at 4:46 AM Post #8 of 25
A PPA can't be called maxed unless it has at least some sort of discrete buffers, now...
tongue.gif

But in either case, a PPA will probably sound pretty good with most cans, if not have incredible synergy with any single one. You can also roll op-amps according to taste and synergy to make for a better match. All in all, it's a very flexible headamp. Recently (in the past 6 months or so), I feel that it hasn't gotten the attention it deserves.

Basically though, to answer your question, I think there are only a few closed cans <$500 that show an increase in SQ over the A900 (warning: I haven't personally heard any of the following). The A1000 is a direct upgrade (some like the A900 better, though), and the CD3000 according to some. Also in the list are Audio-Technica W-series, noteably the W1000 and W2002. Ultrasone has the new Proline series, but Snufkin doesn't like them.
tongue.gif
Other than that, you have the option of taking any of the above phones or your A900, and asking Larry (Headphile) to mod them to sound better.

Jan 1, 2005 at 5:28 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by plus_c
LOL...now I want a PPA to go with the 271's I'm getting...ahhhh! Somebody stop me from spending my money before I don't have any left to buy textbooks this semester!

I think I am going to go with a dynahi myself, but it is hard to say how it will drive them as I dont believe anyone has tested the K271S' with the dynahi.

Jan 1, 2005 at 5:36 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by widds2v
Little hesitant of the CD3k for two reasons. First people say they are super bright, which I don't like.. did not like the highs of the Ety Er4 at all (other than the awesome detail). Secondly arn't they truley not "closed"? They are spec'd for closed, but leak way too much to be considered closed by many. Might as well go open if your not going to have a closed can
smily_headphones1.gif

No, the CD3000s are truly closed. They do not leak sound. If someone turns up the volume and puts them on, someone next to them will not hear anything.

I suppose the "brightness" thing is all a matter of opinion. I didn't find them bright at all with the burr brown opa627 opamps. I don't like bright headphones either, that's why I got the Shures over the Etys for my iPod.

Jan 1, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #12 of 25
hmm that headphile woodie stuff looks interesting, gonna see if i can find some reviews of something like a HD650 with woodies making it closed!

Jan 1, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by lizzardfire
No, the CD3000s are truly closed. They do not leak sound. If someone turns up the volume and puts them on, someone next to them will not hear anything.

Really?

That is contrary to everything I have heard about them on here.
confused.gif

Jan 1, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #14 of 25
Yes you are right philodox. I could hear EVERYTHING when I had those on.
frown.gif

...Anyway, I know I should ready the flame-suit, but I don't think the CD3Ks are worth it if you are upgrading from the A900s. I did a few head-to-heads, and I, personally, came to the conclusion that the differences between the two didn't justify the $250 increase in price. Whatever you want, but that is just my opinion.

Jan 1, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
Not to thread crap, but why do you need closed cans? I'm only curious as some of the better-sounding headphones are open designs.

Same question here, as you already got an A900 for your closed cans. You have a good amp and won't need any isolation with loud volume anyway. And to me "going all out" is like blasting ears with hd 580.
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back