Closed Cans for Use With a Laptop...
Oct 2, 2004 at 8:20 PM Post #16 of 24
With a laptop, I'm automatically presuming it should have a certain degree of portability and recommendations like the A900 are impractical. The HD25-1's bright and impactful response is suited to rock and metal, and of course on a laptop you can EQ it. The HD25-1 is durable, lightweight, portable although non-folding (and the cups don't swivel flat like the Grados) and very closed. They can be pretty hot in summer.

Anything based on the HD280 chassis (Ultrasone HFI-650, Beyer DT660) will be fairly heavy, and doesn't fold into a very small space.

At the lower end, the PX200 and the MDR-V6 would be my primary recommendations for your use, and I would actually say get a pair of PX200's whatever else you're getting because they're so portable. They pack flat and take up next to no space in your laptop bag, and isolate remarkably well given the small cups. Sound's not so hot but is acceptable if you fit them properly. I've noticed that smaller ears may miss the optimum fit, but it's not exactly rocket science to move them around so there is a seal. The V6 can be somewhat strident but they do have a rock-capable edge to them and also fold pretty small for a 'proper' full-size phone. A good budget buy and every bit as roadable as the HD25-1 if not more due to the higher use of metals in the construction.

I have I guess the PC equivalents of the small Powerbook... A Sony PCG-TR5 and a PCG-TR2. A PX200 usually lives permanently in the bag I happen to be using. In addition to that, I choose between the E5 or the HD25-1. I sometimes drop the Echo Indigo into the laptops, but usually I don't bother... the SoundMAX audio is perfectly bearable for DVD watching or the occasional wrestling with Sonicstage.

Oct 2, 2004 at 8:33 PM Post #17 of 24
I'm using a pair of MDR-7506 (essentially V6) with my laptop right now. I have an Asus M6BNe laptop. The phones are easily powered by the onboard audio and sound great. I find the V6 to be very portable and don't leak any sound at all. The coiled cord is also suitable for laptop use as it won't be lying all over the floor. Having to roll up a 3m cord from some headphones everytime you pack things up could get awkward. V6/7506 is a great choice.

Oct 3, 2004 at 3:32 PM Post #18 of 24
I have the PX200's which i currently just use straight out of my headphone out and it sounds pretty good. I have always been impressed with this headphone b/c of its portability and the case it comes in. So convienant for traveling, etc. and you know they will be protected in the hard case.

The sound is pretty decent too - I used to have a full-sized headphone (Senn. HD280) and to me the sound really wasn't any better than the PX200 so i said, "hey, I might as well have the portability too" and for $50 or less (I got mine for $25 with 20 hrs on them from another head-fi'er) They are a deal.

Good Luck.

Isaiah

Oct 4, 2004 at 10:32 AM Post #19 of 24
Another vote for the px200. I'd take Bangraman's advice and consider buying a pair regardless of what other cans you buy. Not the best sound, admittedly, but hard to beat for portability.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2004 at 4:44 PM Post #21 of 24
I see your HD25-1, and I raise you an upgraded cable from Headphile.com.

Oct 4, 2004 at 4:59 PM Post #22 of 24
I haven't tried the HD-25 but just want to chime in my experience.
I have 12" PowerBook and A900. They serve me quite good without an external DAC or headamp.
icon10.gif

But... of course when I hook my external USB DAC and SR-71 between them, it's another story.
cool.gif

Oct 4, 2004 at 5:37 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinchy
I see your HD25-1, and I raise you an upgraded cable from Headphile.com.

once you add the cable though portability is not exactly a factor anymore.
the real reason i bought the HD 25 is gr8 s because of short cable length and a sturdy build.
the headphile cable upgrade compromises on the senn build principle a bit but improves the sound from what is the general impression.
I like the original design becuase a tug on the cable will not loosen the connection.

Oct 4, 2004 at 9:31 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piccolo Daimaou
I'm seeing a lot of reccommendations for the HD-25. Where would I buy these (should I choose to go that route)? And also, between those and the A900's, which, in your opinions, would be better suited to my musical tastes (rock and metal)?

May I suggest Zzounds.com after getting them to price match the price at fotoconnections.com (or whoever you can find with the lowest price)? Zzounds is quick, no BS and has a good return policy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back