Closed Cans for Rock & Gaming
Dec 31, 2008 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Bobsama

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone. I'm pretty much just a n00b around the parts of quality headphones. After hearing (at times, excessively) my home system (a pair of old Polk speakers driven by a Sherwood amp, graciously on a long-term $0 rent from my die-hard-LP-fan audiophile uncle), I'm now in the market for a good pair of headphones.

Criteria:
-I would prefer a closed-can design. I moved away to University, so I'm stuck with a roommate until mid May. A closed-can design should prevent his unruly "death metal" from bleeding through too much while I'm gaming or listening to my own music.

-I have a total of three uses for these. The first and most important is some good old rock & roll. Everything from 70s to 90s or so, with some from the new millennium thrown in. I'm a sucker for the classics. The second use is going to be gaming. I'm an avid computer hardware enthusiast, and I enjoy quite a few games. The better my setup, the better I am. For that reason, I'd like to up the ante on my audio with full-cover headphones. The third use will be my own metal music. I typically listen to older metal, so the newer sounds are just a bonus.

-I have no space for speakers or anything (I'm moving out of my dorm in May), so I would like something comfortable for extended use. Typically I will game for 1+ hours, and it's not unheard of for me to play for even 5 hours. I find this university ridiculously easy, so I get a lot of time to myself and with my friends.

-My budget is limited. I'd like if I could get a decent microphone and headphones for $40 tops, though I realize that quality may suffer a bit. Overall is I want to step up to a good entry-level set.

-Finally, I'd like to use these on occasion with my iPod. That being said, I travel a fair amount, and entertainment does not grow on the seat in front of you on Southwest airplanes. It does sometimes on Air Canada airplanes, so I'd like to be prepared for both. Noise-canceling is a benefit.

By the way--I was thinking that a pair of Sennheiser HD201s would be good, but that still leaves me stuck on a microphone.

I've also heard that the Koss Porta-Pros are good. I'll take a listen to those, but I'd really like isolation.

--Bobsama--

Users who are viewing this thread

Back