Closed cans for office?
Feb 1, 2006 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

RLCrisp

New Head-Fier
I was hoping I could get some headphile advice on a pair of good closed cans for office use.

I'm on my first co-op during college and was happy to see many people listening to cans at their desks, so I would like to join them
580smile.gif
. The first few paychecks are burning a hole in my wallet, but I would like to keep this under $275.

I currently listen to my er4's, but people can't tell that I can't hear if they try to get my attention. The HF-1's are far too leaky, so I'm looking for something closed (and new).

I will mostly be listening to rock and sometimes trance, through a Gilmore Lite (which I don't yet have, send me a PM if you are looking to sell) or an M3 to be built.

Thanks for the suggestions and time,
Ryan

Feb 1, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 11
I have three recommendations for you: A900, K271, and HD201.

I'll get the HD201 out of the way first. It sounds much better than its price, especially if you amp it. So if you want something that sounds pretty good while not being much of a risk if it suffers loss or damage, consider the HD201. Note, though, that although it doesn't leak, it doesn't isolate very much.

The A900 is very comfortable, easy to wear for long stretches, and has a fun, bassy delivery that makes it a good rock&roll/trance can. And it'll run just fine without an amp, if that matters to you (I'm guessing you want the amp for your Etys anyway). Fairly decent isolation, too.

Now the K271...you'll see very mixed reviews on this site. Some like it, some really hate it. But FWIW these are my day-in/day-out office cans, and I'm very satisfied with them. One thing that makes them stand out as office cans IMO is the automatic shutoff: you take them off, they mute themselves. Put them on, they instantly unmute. It's nice not to have leakage (or have to reach over and turn the volume down) when responding to interruptions.

Sonically, the K271 is pretty neutral, kinda like your Etys. But unlike the Etys, it has a sterile, unmusical, flat quality that I didn't much like...until I paired itwith my Micro-DAC instead of the lower-end sources (iPod lineout, etc.) that I'd been using before. Though those cheaper sources sounded just fine on my other 'phones (including Etys), they didn't make the K271 sing. But with the Micro-DAC, I like the K271 a lot.

The K271 is comfortable, but not as comfortable as the A900. And it isolates somewhat, but not as much as the A900.

Feb 1, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 11
Sorry for getting off topic, but you can use the Micro DAC without an amp? You don't have to amplify the signal that comes out of the Micro DAC's line out?
confused.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 11
I bought the Beyerdynamic DT250-80 a couple years ago for exactly this purpose. After 2 years of nearly daily listening, I still think it's a great office headphone... no leakage, good isolation especially from low frequencies (read: computer fans, hard drives). You can usually tell when people are having conversations around you, and if you turn off the music, you can even tell what they're saying. Also it has a coiled cord... some people find this annoying, but if you have it plugged into a source/amp on your desk, it's actually a lot better that a longer cord that's always dragging on the floor/getting stepped on, etc.

As for sound, I think this is a pretty good headphone for rock and electronic... it has an intimate soundstage, slightly favors the mid-bass, and is not at all strident. Some folks complain about the frequency response and prefer the DT250-250, which you could certainly consider as well... I haven't ever heard it myself. I find the frequency response to be perfectly adequate for the non-critical listening that one tends to do while at work.

Feb 1, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 11
You might also want to consider the Senn HD25. I just got hold of a pair, and for the price (about £100 in the UK), I'm very pleased with them, even without having run them in yet. Obviously, any closed can is going to be compromised, but these are definitely a keeper for me.

Feb 1, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #6 of 11
I'm also a college co-op worker but I am going to try to use my HD-555s (open cans) at my next work term...
They don't seem to leak too much for being open - sure, it's audible, but only if you're within a foot or so, otherwise you won't hear them at all.

Feb 1, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
Sorry for getting off topic, but you can use the Micro DAC without an amp? You don't have to amplify the signal that comes out of the Micro DAC's line out?
confused.gif

Let me clarify, I do use an amp. But I didn't really enjoy the K271 all that much until I switched from lesser sources to the Micro DAC.

Yes, you can use the Micro DAC without an amp - its output is at normal audio levels. But that output isn't designed to drive headphones directly, so I haven't tried and don't know of anybody who recommends it.

Feb 1, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashgromnies
sure, it's audible, but only if you're within a foot or so, otherwise you won't hear them at all.

Unless you crank it.
very_evil_smiley.gif
I was a little concerned when I bought the HD555 that it would disturb my cube neighbors, so I bought it from a retailer with a 30 day return policy. (guess) I played it medium loud and asked them if it was OK and they said it was fine. Audible but not disturbing. I took that as a liscence to thrill and haven't apologized since.

Feb 2, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch
Let me clarify, I do use an amp. But I didn't really enjoy the K271 all that much until I switched from lesser sources to the Micro DAC.

Yes, you can use the Micro DAC without an amp - its output is at normal audio levels. But that output isn't designed to drive headphones directly, so I haven't tried and don't know of anybody who recommends it.

I see... thanks for clarifying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back