Closed cans for iAudio U3...
Dec 12, 2006 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Ohlias

New Head-Fier
Hello.

I've been doing some research on this wonderful site, and now I need a little nudge in the right direction.

These headphones will be used with my iAudio U3 which I understand also has a decent headphone out jack (haven't used it yet as it is my Xmas gift from wife). My budget is about $150CDN including shipping and taxes (~$130USD). Closed cans are a must, and I will never be getting and amp, nor will these ever be used as such. I prefer circumaural, but am open to other types.

I have narrowed my selections to the following and would like opinions on these. Among my main concerns are how are thse cans going to sound decent through the U3? I.e. will the be efficient enough?

$105.00 AKG K81DJ
$160.00 Senn HD280 Pro
$135.00 ATH-A500

I'd like something with decent bass and don't mind it being bass heavy, as long as the highs are not too high and the mids are there. Price is a setback and I can't go any higher than this.

I appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks!

Merry X-Mas

Dec 12, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 12
I am also in your dilemma, but I have a G3 instead :p

from what I have heard so far, all the 'phones listed will be driven efficiently by your U3... I on the other hand, am interested in the AKG K81DJ and the recently acclaimed V-Moda Vibes (but they go inside your ears instead)

those cheaper options should keep you happy without an amp and on your U3

Dec 12, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #3 of 12
im gonna throw u a curve ball by suggesting an AL iM716 iem. i recently aquired a pair of iM716 and did a podectomy mod using 33ohm resistors. suffice to say that IMHO, the "de-pod" iM716 sounds awesome unamped off the headout of my ipod video 5g. infact IMO, the iM716/ipod video setup is only bettered by my full size cans. i am indeed, a supremely happy portable camper
icon10.gif

hope this helps
etysmile.gif

Dec 12, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottiebabie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im gonna throw u a curve ball by suggesting an AL iM716 iem. i recently aquired a pair of iM716 and did a podectomy mod using 33ohm resistors. suffice to say that IMHO, the "de-pod" iM716 sounds awesome unamped off the headout of my ipod video 5g. infact IMO, the iM716/ipod video setup is only bettered by my full size cans. i am indeed, a supremely happy portable camper
icon10.gif

hope this helps
etysmile.gif

Although I apreciate the suggestion, I'm trying to stay away from IEM's. I've got some sony's right now, but I want full sized cans. At this moment, I'm leaning towards the HD280's because they get good reviews here and they are readily available locally. Where as the others are "rare" to find...

Dec 12, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #5 of 12
Anyone else?

Dec 12, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #6 of 12
Are you planning to buy any of these online? They are much cheaper.

I would recommend K81DJ over HD280Pro for two reasons:
1. size
2. overall sound quality

However, K81DJ's are not circumaural which may not satisfy you, but really, for portable use I don't recommend circumaural headphones for their size...

Dec 12, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 12
Unfortunely, I can't find any AKG or Audio Technical locally. The Senns are easily available. So far best prices are online and the ones listed were online delivered to Cananda with Applicable taxes.

I'm being told by a local shop that the 280's will not be driven well by the U3. He suggested I bring it in after Xmas to try it out for myself. He then told me I should buy the HD25 at $325CDN!!!! (Plus 15% tax)

Oh well, the search continues.

Dec 12, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #8 of 12
I believe there are few vendors carrying K81DJ in BC, so no worry about import tax. I forgot the names, but there is a thread somewhere that has the information.

HD280 can be driven by portables, they are quite sensitive despite the 64ohm impedance rating. They do, however, benefit from an amp. But don't buy them at full price, I consider it a rip-off. EBay has them for much cheaper.

HD25-1 are said to be one of the best portable headphones out there, you should be able to get them much cheaper ($150-200 USD I think) from the States. Even after tax and everything they are still cheaper than local options.

Dec 12, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #9 of 12
Hi,
it seems an easy thing. All three models you mentioned are great and fit your needs. You did not say where you want to use them mostly so I recommend you to:

- take the K81DJ if you want as you say a bassy sound and use them outdoors a lot
- buy the 280HD if you want more neutral sound, good isolation, wearing comfort with nice headband, a good and solid spiral cable, but will hardly use them outdoors
280smile.gif

The 280HD will be driven by the U3 well, it is quite a powerful player.

Local availability and the opportunity to test them weight high

Dec 12, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #10 of 12
Thanks for all of you help Guys.

I'm gonna try the HD280 when I finally get the player, but I think I'm gonna shop the AKG around and see if I can find it online.

Dec 15, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohlias /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all of you help Guys.

I'm gonna try the HD280 when I finally get the player, but I think I'm gonna shop the AKG around and see if I can find it online.

Well, I pulled the trigger on a set of K-81DJ's yesterday. They came out to $85.00CDN ($74USD). And that's the cheapest I could get. Should get them by the end of next week. Just in time for Xmas!

Happy holidays everyone and thanks for the help.

Dec 29, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohlias /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I pulled the trigger on a set of K-81DJ's yesterday. They came out to $85.00CDN ($74USD). And that's the cheapest I could get. Should get them by the end of next week. Just in time for Xmas!

Happy holidays everyone and thanks for the help.

So I finnally got them and they are awsome. Haven't broken them in yet, but I can't complain, I am thoroughly happy in now my bother in law wants a pair. The U3 drives them very well too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back