Closed cans for Grado lovers?
Oct 3, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69
This includes flagship closed cans like the R10, L3000, W5000, which IMO all sound a little "hollow" in the midrange compared to the forward lush midrange that Grados are known for.

Well... that's about the first time I heard that the R10 has a hollow midrange.
blink.gif
That wasn't obviously the case with the pair I tested. Euphoиiк mids my friend.

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #17 of 30
I'm a Grado Fanboy myself, and I traded my HF-1's for a pair for Denon D2000. The only regret I had is having to sell my D2000. Once I get back to where I can get more headphones again, I will be getting atleast a pair of D2000 if not D5000 and of course getting them recabled by APureSound. Because Alex's cables ROCK THE CASBAW!!!

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by will-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is exactly what I am trying to work out. I am not a big fan of working from a budget with audio equipment be because I find I often over pay. I'd like to pay as little as possible to get the level of sound I want. The Grado's seemed like a good reference point.

If I asked the question what is the best pair of cans I can get for $XXX. I would get a bunch of suggestions for headphones in that range and a few responses that I should stretch my budget a bit and get xxxx. For that reason I think "I like this sound what's it going to cost me is a better approach"

So far I have These suggestions:

Dennon D2000 ($350ish)
AudioTechnica ATH-ES7 ($120ish)
Beyer DT660 ($150ish)
Equation Audio RP-21 ($100)

if I had said my Budget was $250 I may not have had any of these suggestions. (thanks for all the suggestions BTW)

I am in Tokyo right now so these all (with the possible exception of the Equation Audio) should be easy to find and audition. Any thing else I should keep my eye out for?

No one really complains per se but people try and "educate" me about excessive headphone volume. also with open cans everyone knows what I am listing to, which can be embarrassing given my occasional need to listen to Willie Nelson and a few other guilty pleasure artists I will not name.

Consider the Ultrasone HFI700 too, very nice for under $250. I love mine.

Someone mentioned the Senn HD25-1 and for a closed can they are pretty darn nice isolators, without sounding like a cheap closed can. They have deep bass and sparkly highs, and the hollowed out mids are filling in after use. Retail is $199 but can be found for $100-$130 shipped.

I had first bought Beyer DT231 from fullcompass.com (see above) for $49 and thought they sounded nice but they don't isolate well. So, when I found the HD25-1 for under $100 shipped at buy.com I went for them. As the Senn HD25-1 burn-in they are sounding even better than at first, and have now passed up the Beyer. I have to say they are smoother than my iGrado or SR-60's, but the sound signature isn't quite grado, but closer to Grado than the PX100's I have.

Right now the DT231 will probably get retired like my Ultrasone iCans. HD25-1 fall below my Ultrasone HFI700 closed cans (and below my HD600), but above my PX100, iGrado and DT231. i.e they are keepers.

Oct 3, 2007 at 7:59 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K240 sextett is the only closed (well, semi closed) headphone I've ever listened to which sounds anything like a grado. Nothing else here will cut it. Though I have not heard the DT660 I seriously doubt it would take the place of my sextett. Put these on and swear to me with a straight face these are not a grado. Gona need to replace that portable solid state amp, though. One of the offerings from Little Dot would probably work well enough.

But doesn't the K240 leak sound? It's an open h'phone, no? I've tried the K240 DF and it leaked quite a bit.

The K240 Sextett (the original K240) is 600ohm and requires a good powerful amp (tubes?). The DT660 is 32ohm and has 97db sensitivity, driven well by all good portable amps.

To the OP: I would ignore some of the info you recieve here or at least research the suggestions. The ES7, D2000 and DT770 in no way, shape, or form resemble any Grado sound (let alone the 225). They both represent big bass and recessed mids, not what grado is about at all.

Oct 3, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But doesn't the K240 leak sound? It's an open h'phone, no? I've tried the K240 DF and it leaked quite a bit.

The K240 Sextett (the original K240) is 600ohm and requires a good powerful amp (tubes?). The DT660 is 32ohm and has 97db sensitivity, driven well by all good portable amps.

To the OP: I would ignore some of the info you recieve here or at least research the suggestions. The ES7, D2000 and DT770 in no way, shape, or form resemble any Grado sound (let alone the 225). They both represent big bass and recessed mids, not what grado is about at all.

Good advice. fortunatly I am big on research. I'll be doing some listening this week end.

speaking of research after doing some I am interested in the Ultrasone, I think found a place here in Tokyo where I can check them out. So now I have something to do this weekend.

Oct 3, 2007 at 11:06 AM Post #21 of 30
I have tried the AKG K81s and the Senn 280 pro and neither sound any where near as good as my Grados. I also had the UE SF 3s and the same thing, no dice. I finally found a suitable match, imo, with the AL im716s. To me they do have some of the Gradoish qualities I was looking for in somthing that would isolate well.

Oct 4, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have tried the AKG K81s and the Senn 280 pro and neither sound any where near as good as my Grados. I also had the UE SF 3s and the same thing, no dice. I finally found a suitable match, imo, with the AL im716s. To me they do have some of the Gradoish qualities I was looking for in somthing that would isolate well.

Sadly I'll never know. I just can't deal with in ear monitors or canal phones. I find them really uncomfortable and I just don't like sticking stuff in my ear. Not to mention that trying to audition them creeps me out. God knows who's ears they have been. It's too bad because some that I have tried sound great.

Oct 4, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

A little at volumes you shouldn't be listening to anyway....

At normal volumes and when they are on your head, leakage is really not bad at all, someone would probably only notice it if you were in a totally silent environment.

Oct 4, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #24 of 30
The DT660 is an interesting idea. Does anyone want to confirm or dispute that? I've been looking for the same thing--a closed "Grado" at a Grado price.

Oct 4, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by cgrums /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm beginning to find that there may not be a pair of closed cans that do the exact 'Grado' sound.

I am beginning to suspect this as well.

I, too, am looking for something that approximates the Grado sound that is "offic cubicle" friendly. That is, does not leak sound out.

I am currently considering the Yuin earbuds (PK1 or PK2). Several people have compared them to Grados. My only concern is sound leakage, as I understand them to be fairly open earbuds. However, with such small drivers, that may not be as big an issue as with any of the Grados.

Anyone have the Yuin's?

Oct 4, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #26 of 30
I never said the ES7's had the "Grado sound". The thread title said "Closed cans for Grado lovers". The threads I was trying to point the OP to threads of other members who owned both cans and according to their reviews some of them actually preferred the ES7's to Grados and even Allesandros. I myself have never had the oppritunity to audition Grado's. My bad

Oct 4, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #27 of 30
I have and love SR60s and no, the ES7s don't have the 'Grado sound', but like ronnielee54, I've not regretted buying them one bit. As they burn in, boy are they nice....

Oct 4, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have and love SR60s and no, the ES7s don't have the 'Grado sound', but like ronnielee54, I've not regretted buying them one bit. As they burn in, boy are they nice....

Well, they should sound ok with that X-1 Pro I sold you
wink.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Well, they should sound ok with that X-1 Pro I sold you
wink.gif

LOL! Yep indeed, they sound pretty good out of my Xin Supermini too
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #30 of 30
I'm a Grado user at home (325i), and I am currently using some Sennheiser HD-201's in the office. They are VERY inexpensive. Around 20 to 25 bucks in the US. I find their performance very impressive for their price. In fact, I am really enjoying them. I found myself using them at home last night INSTEAD of the 325i. Crazy, I know. But I rather enjoy the 201's sound signature: lean, airy, clear, detailed. Not for a "bass head", but it excels at clarity in the mids/highs. They are closed, don't leak, are mildly isolating (but not soundproof), are lightweight, circumaural, and comfy. The only caveat, again, is with the bass. Some people dislike the lean presentation of the 201's (although I find their bass improving with burn-in).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back