Closed cans around $500
Jan 7, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #31 of 53

Quote:
Yes.  But then you'll miss all the fun of SCALING UP the AH-D ladder sequentially.  : )

The 2000, 5000 and 7000 each has something unique and exciting to reveal.  Even though I currently own the D7000, there are sonic qualities that I still miss from the D2000 and D5000.

This is the route i will be taking lol and by that i mean i will be purchasing the D2000 first and once i get bored of these and feel like an upgrade i will sell the D2000 (or possibly mod them
wink.gif
).

Quote:
What kind of music will you be listening?

As for what kind of music i will mostly be listening to electronica.

Any ideas on the hornet for amping these while were on the topic of the denon's?

Jan 7, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #32 of 53
Why not start with the D2000 then consider the markl mod for it? You can do it yourself or have Mark at Lawton Audio do it for you. He has a few different price ranges and mods worth checking out. I almost went that route, but I'm going back to Grado for my next headphone. I prefer on-ear headphones. :p

Jan 7, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #33 of 53
Best to maybe go to a Head-Fi meet, many know right away if the signature is right for them. I love the AH-D7000s and have had them for years. Really don't want anything else.

Jan 7, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #34 of 53

Quote:
Why not start with the D2000 then consider the markl mod for it? You can do it yourself or have Mark at Lawton Audio do it for you. He has a few different price ranges and mods worth checking out. I almost went that route, but I'm going back to Grado for my next headphone. I prefer on-ear headphones.
tongue.gif

I am definitely going to markl mod them just based on what I've read about it.

Jan 8, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #36 of 53
Ok so, thank you alot for all your help but i have decided that my monster beat tour's are fine for school. Hence i need advice on a pair of open cans around $600 for electronica. Please and thank you
wink_face.gif

Jan 8, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #37 of 53
For electronica, I haven't found anything better than my Pro 900s. They might not be a good all-rounder, but they will make you cry with joy for electronic.

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #39 of 53
I say save your money.  Buy the SRH840 for $120 and then get yourself an Audio-GD NFB-12 all for less than one Denon D7000.  Or you can get the SRH840s for when you need isolation and something that doesn't leak and then a pair of HD600 for when you are in a quiet space, all for less than one pair of D7000.

If a pair of headphones is good enough for tracking, mixing and engineering the music you listen to, it's likely good enough to listen to the music with.

Shure SRH840: Closed-back, 44Ω, $250.

The SRH840s are comfortable and provide pretty good isolation from external noise. They have quite a ‘shouty’ voicing, with a prominent high mid-range and quite subdued bass. Transients come through nicely, though, and once you get used to them, it’s perfectly possible to judge bass levels, although their brightness makes them a little fatiguing for long sessions. Sam Inglis

These are comfortable, although perhaps a little weighty. Isolation is good, and leakage minimal, yet they seem to reveal plenty of detail for a closed-back design. I’d be happy doing some mixing with these, but wouldn’t like to rely on them alone — and I’d have reservations about using them for long sessions, as I personally found the high end a tad fatiguing. They’d make decent tracking cans too, with the same caveat about the brightness. Matt Houghton

The folding, collapsible design of the SRH840s is similar to the MDR7509 HDs, while the single-sided cable connection includes a neat twist-lock connector. They give good isolation and are fairly sensitive, at +2dB relative to the AKG K702s. Although comfortable, they’re one of the heaviest in the group. They offer a very similar sonic performance to the MDR7509s, although with a slightly richer bottom end. Dynamics and mid-range clarity are good. Hugh Robjohns

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan10/articles/studioheadphones.htm

Are you listening with your ears or your wallet?

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #41 of 53
Also remember when you are listening to your headphones, you are not actually hearing your headphones.  You are hearing the combination of the your source + Amp and your headphones.

I still think if you only got $500, you are better off getting a well respected headphones by professionals and then getting yourself a nice DAC with dual WM8741 and headphones with ACSS technology than one pair of D7000. 

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #42 of 53

i would but i heard the D2/5000 has better mids and i could markl mod the D2000 for bass and cable mod them for better highs and save for lawton wood cups

I've heard that the MarkL modded D2K/D5K still can't match the stock D7K. But I never heard the lower tiers, so I dunno.

Jan 8, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #45 of 53
Well i heard from lawton that d5000 has warmer mids sorry i guess this means different more then anything, and i read some where on this site that at a meet some people tried the cable modded D2000 and prefer ed the highs over the stock D7000, as for bass i don't think it will be better then the D7000 just better then the stock D2000 and possibly better then the Stock D5000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back