Closed cans < $300 similar to HE-500 Sound
Jan 17, 2014 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mnarwold

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I have some heavily modded Grado SR-225s and the wonderful HE-500 cans. I am thinking about selling the Grado's to get some closed cans for those times when I want to listen to music in bed while my wife sleeps. Top price is $300 used, but would prefer something in the $200 price range. I love the HE-500 sound as it is very balanced. I listen to every style of music. Some other sound references, HD800s are too bright for me, I like the HD700 and HD600. LCD-2 Is also very nice. A flat frequency response is more important than soundstage or imaging. It doesn't need to isolate a ton, but it would be nice to be able to lay next to my wife and listen at a normal volume (70db) without bothering her.

Thanks for the tips

Edit: Oh, the HE-400 are too dark and I thought the HD650's where slightly too dark as well.

Jan 18, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #4 of 7
  There is no such thing.

Excellent neutral dynamic cans (for a flavor similar to the open $700 ortho) to consider include the Sony MDR 7520 and (by reputation & reviews--I have not yet heard them) the NAD VISO HP50.

Agreed. I'd even argue you might need to spend a bit more to get a really 'open' sound closed. The only two I can think of are the LCD-XC and Fostex TH-900, both of which are $1500+ cans.

If you want the open sound, get open cans :)

Jan 18, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #5 of 7
Subbed thread. In a fairly similar predicament. I wanted the HE-400 but I wouldn't be able to use them in the later night times since my desk area is near the bed. (I'd get the HE500 if I could too :p) have you considered the Sennheiser Momentums Over ear edition? Not the hundred less on ear edition.

Jan 18, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #6 of 7
  Agreed. I'd even argue you might need to spend a bit more to get a really 'open' sound closed. The only two I can think of are the LCD-XC and Fostex TH-900, both of which are $1500+ cans.

If you want the open sound, get open cans :)

There is no such thing.

Excellent neutral dynamic cans (for a flavor similar to the open $700 ortho) to consider include the Sony MDR 7520 and (by reputation & reviews--I have not yet heard them) the NAD VISO HP50.

You misunderstand what I am asking for. There of course is no closed can that sounds just like the HE-500, and to get the same quality of sound in a closed can you will have to spend more money. I was simply listing the type of sound I like in HP and asking for the closest thing in the listed price range. The quality will be much lower obviously, but at least now you know exactly what type of sound is my ideal. You know not to suggest any cans that are considered bright or bass-heavy. That is why I listed the above headphones, as a reference to the type of sound I like.

Thanks for the suggestions you made KG Jag, I'll look into them

Jan 18, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #7 of 7
Why not consider the Martin Logan Mikros 90 closed portables?
They will give you everything the HE-500 have to offer--with a technical facility surpassing even that of the 500--and more (of what the 500 cannot offer).  Much more, IMHO.  I thought I had heard "balanced" with the HifiMAN HE-6, that is, until I listened to the Mikros 90.
For about $85, new, at current street prices (MSRP is $300), these things are a screaming, insane bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back