Closed can recommendation mainly for monitoring/engineering
Sep 10, 2008 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

error401

1000+ Head-Fier
My girlfriend has asked me to help her select a new pair of cans. She's mostly concerned about using them for sound engineering as she's a film student and taking several sound courses this semester, so clarity and neutral response are the most important criteria. She'd also like to use them for casual listening on the bus on the way to school so she doesn't have to carry two headphones around. Fidelity there isn't so important, but they should be usable with a DAP (Zen Vision M), not huge, and closed for isolation. She mostly listens to rock and indie music, with some hip-hop, classical and electronica in there for good measure.

As far as price is concerned, she can't go over $200 all told (incl. shipping & taxes), so around the $150 mark for a budget. I also have to be able to get them easily in Canada, so some options are out. Easiest for me to source are AKG, Audio Technica, Senns and Sony.

I am currently considering Sony MDR-7506, Sennhesier HD-280 Pro, and maybe AKG 171, but there's not much info on it. I'd love to stretch for K271MKII, but I can't stretch the budget that far I don't think (the best price I can find here is about $225+tax&shipping and I don't want to buy from a US vendor). I can't really find much else that fit the criteria.

So, Head-Fi, what do you think? Neutrality and sound quality are the prime criteria.

Sep 10, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #3 of 9
The k240 are too bulky for portable use, and don't isolate much from outside noise. I cannot comment on the other cans but I had the K171, and while they are a bit bulky and weird (the AKG headband is not exactly slim, and the cups are deep) they can definitely be used as portables and isolate pretty well. They also are not extremely sensitive, and an amp makes them sound better and louder. I would suggest you to find a place where you can try them before buying. And if you get them, to use a DIY cable (it plugs in the left earcup with a mini XLR connector) as the sound improves quite a bit even with cheap but good cable like Mogami.

Sep 10, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #4 of 9
I used a sony dj can in film school, folded em up and threw them in a bag took them to the sound lab and out in the field. I'd say any comfortable dj style will do durability, ability to folded up and a single ear swivel are all good features for film/video procuction.

On set I've seen Sony cans and a few Beyer DT-48s on the sound guys, in studios akg and fostex seem to rule the day.

On camera headphone jacks are 1/8th of an inch so that's needed for sure. I think of the ones you're thinking the sony ones would be my choice for a decent multi-use can.

Sep 10, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #6 of 9
AKG K 271 MK II

selling for USD $179.

do check them out.

image11963474ec17099ae1.jpg

Sep 10, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG K 271 MK II
image11963474ec17099ae1.jpg

Those look pretty awesome. I'd say the old AKG 271 definitely had the most neutral presentation compared to the Sony 7506 and Senn HD280. I can't say for the 271 MKII's, but it could be worth a shot. They don't really look very portable though.

Thinking about portability, the HD280's are also a bit of a behemoth.

I'd probably be going with the MDR-V6 in your case.

The V6's are not entirely neutral, but they are very detailed. They are one of the standards in the film and radio industry, and a lot of pros use them. They'll be good for your gf's listening tastes, and can be used easily from a variety of sources. From prior experience, most AKGs tend to be a bit pickier about proper amping and don't have the same fun factor when listening to music for pleasure -- although I can't say about the MKII's since I've not heard them.

Popular consensus has it that the Sony MDR-V6 actually has the same drivers as the MDR-7506, so you can probably save a few bucks by going with the V6. The only difference is the color of the sticker, the marketing behind it, a gold plug, and a different warranty.

The V6 is more portable in comparison to the HD280, and does a good job of isolation. If you want to spend the money you saved on the V6 vs. the 7506, look into getting a pair of Beyerdynamic DT250 velour pads to replace the stock V6 pads. It'll become much more comfortable, and possibly slightly increase the amount of isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back