Closed can options equivalent to the Sennheiser HD600
Nov 22, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #31 of 38
I don't want to derail this thread. The only closed backed headphones I've ever owned were Sennheiser's EH2200 with their tear shaped earcups. From what I remember they were fairly 'flat' and I liked them at a time when most headphones were like this although they didn't sound anywhere near as high quality as the HD600 or even particularly like them. Good headphones though and £30 new.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #32 of 38
OP Author UPDATE: I got the AKG 553 MK II’s and the AKG K371’s in today and was able to A/B them with my HD600’s. I realize that there should be some burn-in time, but since I have to return what I’m not keeping, no time for burn in.

Bottom line: neither will work for my ears. The 553’s were very brittle or plastic like in the upper mids and highs, and while the 371’s were warmer and more appealing, neither had anywhere near the clarity of my HD600’s. The instrument separation was almost non-exisitent compared to the 600’s...very one-dimensional, but I guess that’s what you get for $200 or thereabouts.

My ears have been trained by the HD600’s for so long now, I think I may have to go up in my price boundary to 1K or so in order to find something comparable in a closed-back...I dunno...???

The DT-250’s arrive tomorrow...I’ll report back what my ears are hearing.

Nov 29, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #33 of 38
OP Author UPDATE: I got the AKG 553 MK II’s and the AKG K371’s in today and was able to A/B them with my HD600’s. I realize that there should be some burn-in time, but since I have to return what I’m not keeping, no time for burn in.

Bottom line: neither will work for my ears. The 553’s were very brittle or plastic like in the upper mids and highs, and while the 371’s were warmer and more appealing, neither had anywhere near the clarity of my HD600’s. The instrument separation was almost non-exisitent compared to the 600’s...very one-dimensional, but I guess that’s what you get for $200 or thereabouts.

My ears have been trained by the HD600’s for so long now, I think I may have to go up in my price boundary to 1K or so in order to find something comparable in a closed-back...I dunno...???

I have not tried myself pricier alternatives to HD600, but the lack of depth and separation was to be expected in closed cans. I can anticipate you that you'll probably find the DT250 almost mono dimensional as well, being almost 'neutral' as of FR. Closed cans are usually preferred to open ones, as a general rule, just when you need that the can does not leak sound outside, otherwise an open headphone gives you a more enjoyable and less congested listening. Maybe that going up in price you can find something better from the soundstage/separation/depth point of view, I don't really know.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #34 of 38

2nd Update: Got the Beyerdynamic DT-250 in yesterday and was able to A/B with the HD600’s, and once again, was significantly underwhelmed, very “blah” like the AKG 553’s and 371’s, so all three go back to Amazon in the next day or so.

On a side note, I grabbed the cans that our guys use for our online mix at the church where I serve, just to listen to how they compare to my HD600’s. It is the Shure SHR840, that currently run for about $150. I was pleasantly surprised at the soundstage, instrument and vocal clarity and separation, crystal high end, meaty mids (but not honking), and tight, full bass (but not boomy). These significantly trumped these other 3 that I have auditioned. Obviously, these are not what most would consider “neutral” but they are very musical and enjoyable. In fact, I decided to give the top of the line SHR1540’s a test run, so I ordered a pair and they should arrive tomorrow.

They may not be as neutral as what I’d hoped, but I think the mids, where my guitar tone mainly sits, are close enough, and I can use them for general listening as well. (Another side note...my ears are probably leaning toward the Shure sound signal because I got a set of 846 IEM’s two weeks ago, and have enjoyed them thoroughly!)

Nov 30, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #35 of 38
2nd Update: Got the Beyerdynamic DT-250 in yesterday and was able to A/B with the HD600’s, and once again, was significantly underwhelmed, very “blah” like the AKG 553’s and 371’s, so all three go back to Amazon in the next day or so.

On a side note, I grabbed the cans that our guys use for our online mix at the church where I serve, just to listen to how they compare to my HD600’s. It is the Shure SHR840, that currently run for about $150. I was pleasantly surprised at the soundstage, instrument and vocal clarity and separation, crystal high end, meaty mids (but not honking), and tight, full bass (but not boomy). These significantly trumped these other 3 that I have auditioned. Obviously, these are not what most would consider “neutral” but they are very musical and enjoyable. In fact, I decided to give the top of the line SHR1540’s a test run, so I ordered a pair and they should arrive tomorrow.

They may not be as neutral as what I’d hoped, but I think the mids, where my guitar tone mainly sits, are close enough, and I can use them for general listening as well. (Another side note...my ears are probably leaning toward the Shure sound signal because I got a set of 846 IEM’s two weeks ago, and have enjoyed them thoroughly!)
I'm interested in your impressions about the SHR 1540. I hope you like them :L3000: :beerchug:

Nov 30, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #37 of 38
Well, as I mentioned in the post above, the 840’s were really quite good… I was very surprised at that price range how clean and clear all tonal regions were represented. Soundstage was quite large as well.
Yes, but maybe, due to their closed enclosure, the 1540 would be different.

Nov 30, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #38 of 38
and while the 371’s were warmer and more appealing, neither had anywhere near the clarity of my HD600’s.
Did you try EQing the relative dip around 4kHz-5kHz? It's a known problem area on the K371. Also, you should give a pair of headphones at least a week for the sound presentation to fully burn into your brain.
hd_600_vs_k371.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back