Closed Can Free-For-All (sub $200) for the workplace. Please help me.
Feb 19, 2010 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

mikeloxlong

New Head-Fier
so...here's my first thread. I figure I should stop hijacking other people's threads.

I'm in search for the ultimate headphones for the office. I know I've written these somewhere before and it's playing like a damn broken record but here I am again.

I initially ordered the AD700 and JVC HA900. I ended up keeping the JVC due to bass and isolation. I listen to a lot of different kinds of music except country music so I initially wanted impact and bass vs. sound stage. Now, I want both and it seems that I needed to go deeper into my wallet/bank account to get close.

Office headphones by my definition is a pair of affordable headphones that offer not necessarily the best but at least better than average of all worlds (sound stage + bass) and it has to be closed for isolation at a reasonable price. I've researched this forum up and down for a few weeks now and keep coming up with new headphones to check out almost every friggin day. I hate this!

I hope that this thread can help other people in the same position. Not all of us can necessarily afford a $300 headphone + $300 amp + $n = too much to be just laying around in the office. I thought that maybe $150 is the sweet spot for price and decent closed performance with $200 stretching it.

So onto the list!

ATH-A900
AKG K271 MKII
ATH-M50
DT 770 / 80
Denon AHD1001

Anything out of that bunch that is the clear cut winner? Any particular set that I've overlooked? I'd like to add that I will mostly be using my laptop with a Mini3 amp for these headphones which, after training myself to hear the difference, I can proudly say that I notice them now. Unamped, from the laptop, just not full, flatter and somewhat lifeless; even EQed. Amped, has some volume in both dB-wise and perceived fullness and warmth.

ok, I gotta stop.

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 30
For what its worth the M50's do not have a big soundstage, so I would not consider them if thats important, I'm thinking a Denon is what your after for a nice soundstage + bass, however i've never heard the ahd1001, hopefully someone with experience on that can chime in. I know the higher models do have a very nice soundstage for closed cans, and nice bass.

Feb 19, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpoolinEclipse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For what its worth the M50's do not have a big soundstage, so I would not consider them if thats important, I'm thinking a Denon is what your after for a nice soundstage + bass, however i've never heard the ahd1001, hopefully someone with experience on that can chime in. I know the higher models do have a very nice soundstage for closed cans, and nice bass.

Cool, this is the input that I am looking for but preferably from those of you guys who have had the opportunity to own/hear them side by side.

I've read a lot about the Denon but it's hard for me to picture how something would sound without actually hearing them not that reading about them is much better.

Feb 19, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 30
HD25 I II. Once again I am suggesting these phones. They are at the top of your budget but they sound awesome... no amp required. They're rugged and great for travelling to and form work.

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 30
I have the Denon D1000 and I also use them in the office. The fit and comfort is amazing, but since they are looser, they can leak a little if you crank them up. The ceiling vents in our office easily drown out the leakage though.

On to SQ. I really do like these cans for what they are worth. They are VERY easy to drive. Honestly, I think they sound a lot like my UE Triple.fi 10's, but with less clarity and seperation. The bass can be a little flabby sometimes, but has great punch. I am planning on recabling them in the next week which aparently makes them sound a lot better (in the Denon D2000 range). That being said, you could always cheaply upgrade them instead of buying new cans later ($13 for Mogami 2893, switchcraft terminator, and shipping).

I have not heard the other cans on your list though.

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 30
I vote for the ATH-M50's. I just picked up a pair earlier this week. They have impressed me thus far, and from what I read, they only get better with a good burn in. Ive got about 65 hours of burn in on them, and just today the bass finally came on.

They are fairly efficient to boot, and can sound good right out of an iPod. Some amplification does help, but its not a necessity. They seal up very nicely, not much sound leak. Comfy, Audio Techinica seems to have gotten the band pressure right.

When I picked these up at Guitar Center, I tried out the HD280s as well, straight out of the box, the M50 had a much cleaner and more powerful low end. It was there on the 280's, but the impact wasn't. (albeit, there wasn't all that much out of either can at the time)

Feb 19, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD25 I II. Once again I am suggesting these phones. They are at the top of your budget but they sound awesome... no amp required. They're rugged and great for travelling to and form work.

I don't need them for to and from work per se, I would actually leave these on my desk every day of the week so they wouldn't be going anywhere unless I utterly fall in love with them where I (or whoever is in the same predicament) need to take them home and listen to them at home or else where.

In your words, how would you describe the sound signature, (I believe this is the right terminology?), of these cans. They look like they're on ears which might lend itself to be uncomfortable and more importantly, sound leakage. Is this true?

Feb 19, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by DKaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Denon D1000 and I also use them in the office. The fit and comfort is amazing, but since they are looser, they can leak a little if you crank them up. The ceiling vents in our office easily drown out the leakage though.

On to SQ. I really do like these cans for what they are worth. They are VERY easy to drive. Honestly, I think they sound a lot like my UE Triple.fi 10's, but with less clarity and seperation. The bass can be a little flabby sometimes, but has great punch. I am planning on recabling them in the next week which aparently makes them sound a lot better (in the Denon D2000 range). That being said, you could always cheaply upgrade them instead of buying new cans later ($13 for Mogami 2893, switchcraft terminator, and shipping).

I have not heard the other cans on your list though.

I've looked at those and had them in my cart on more than a few occasions but I just wasn't feeling it as far as getting enough research done.

I don't know what this recabling means. Seems super involved! Do you have pics of what you've done? Maybe others are also interested in doing so
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by amc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about beyerdynamic dt770? Closed cans - some would say bass heavy 80 or 250 ohm versions. I love mine.

have you had any other experiences that you can compare it to? My headphone experience is a bit limited.

ATH-AD700 - airy and thin but amazing sound stage.

JVC RX HA900 - which is supposed to be the poor man's ATH-A900. Better bass and good sound but I want the soundstage as well.

So if these two had a kid, which headphone would it be.

I'm interested in adding more headphones to the list
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ekliptiko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I vote for the ATH-M50's. I just picked up a pair earlier this week. They have impressed me thus far, and from what I read, they only get better with a good burn in. Ive got about 65 hours of burn in on them, and just today the bass finally came on.

They are fairly efficient to boot, and can sound good right out of an iPod. Some amplification does help, but its not a necessity. They seal up very nicely, not much sound leak. Comfy, Audio Techinica seems to have gotten the band pressure right.

When I picked these up at Guitar Center, I tried out the HD280s as well, straight out of the box, the M50 had a much cleaner and more powerful low end. It was there on the 280's, but the impact wasn't. (albeit, there wasn't all that much out of either can at the time)

thanks for the reply, I also like what I've read about those M50. Man, I wish someone had all these cans and have a trained ear to really recommend what's good for each individual's tastes and applications vs. what isn't

How about we look for the holy grail of office headphones. The trinity of airy wide sound stage with bass and good isolation (both for privacy and to keep external sounds (consultants/tax professionals) out of the ear canals for under $200. I'm sure supporting pillars like comfort and durability along with looks and impedance should also count but we'll get to that when we have to cross that bridge.

Feb 19, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robot Metal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$55 used HD280, $60 Bravo Amp, $10 replacement tube, $2 blue tack
atsmile.gif

Interesting; how much better is the HD280 vs. the RX900? Is the price worth the upgrade? I also have an amp already. Mini3 vs. Bravo? Comments on that?

Feb 20, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by amc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about beyerdynamic dt770? Closed cans - some would say bass heavy 80 or 250 ohm versions. I love mine.

I'm not sure if the "bass heavy" in your post is supposed to modify both the 80 and the 250 ohm versions, or just the 80 ohm, but for the record, I do not consider the 250 ohm to be bass heavy, although I agree they should be on the OP's list.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back