Closed can better than open??
Jun 21, 2007 at 6:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Zacorias

Head-Fier
Is it wierd that I would prefer a closed can over an open can for hip-hop, rap, and a little bit of pop? It seems like the bass is lacking on the open cans. Its possible that my ears dont know whats best
cool.gif

Jun 21, 2007 at 8:50 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zacorias /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it wierd that I would prefer a closed can over an open can for hip-hop, rap, and a little bit of pop? It seems like the bass is lacking on the open cans. Its possible that my ears dont know whats best
cool.gif

Not at all, but it depends on which "closed" cans you prefer over which open.

A properly amped HD 650 is no slouch - sometimes sloppy bass - okay.
Properly amped OIIs are no slouch - accurate bass - excellent.
But, for fun head shaking textured bass, you can't do wrong with either open or closed Darth's you get mucho knock in both varieties.

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 15
I prefer my k81dj's over my previously owned Beyer 770/80 and 990/05. These Beyers have issues with the mids, which is a must for hip-hop/rap/rnb. The bass was better with the Beyers, but if the vocals suck, then who cares about bass?

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #7 of 15
Not really!
If done right, both closed and open headphones could sound great. But I am under the impression that its easier/cheaper to construct a good sounding open headphone.

Jun 21, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #9 of 15
With closed headphones its easier to make bass feel stronger due to reverbing and such, but accurasy also suffers in the progress. If it matters, its debatable. Bass which one can almost feel is always nice in right places.
cool.gif

Jun 21, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaughter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer my k81dj's over my previously owned Beyer 770/80 and 990/05.

To emphasize preferences, I actually prefer the 990/05 over K81DJ for all types of music from metal to opera to symphonies to jazz, as well as movies and tv which have heavy emphasis on voices.

So, to the OP, whatever floats your boat. Everybody is different, and that's why personal preferences are personal. It's not weird at all. It's what you prefer, and it's only something that you can decide on.

Jun 21, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 15
You're not alone; I prefer closed cans to open cans. I prefer IEMs even more to closed in terms of sound, but I'm of a rare breed.

While I think open cans offer more air and open sound, I feel like even with appropriate bass open cans can sound somewhat thin. Closed cans seem to have body thanks to a thicker sound. I find closed cans very groovy.

Jun 21, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're not alone; I prefer closed cans to open cans. I prefer IEMs even more to closed in terms of sound, but I'm of a rare breed.

While I think open cans offer more air and open sound, I feel like even with appropriate bass open cans can sound somewhat thin. Closed cans seem to have body thanks to a thicker sound. I find closed cans very groovy.

Exactly! I love the sound of my Atrio m5s! but like MaZa said, sometimes I want to almost feel the bass and have a bit more sound stage. On the other hand, I feel that open cans are better for rock and other genres away from us bassheads
basshead.gif
but thats why I bought some ksc-75s

Jun 22, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

well... but that's because you've got a heck of a closed HP... those ES7 just look amazing!!

BIG LOL

Cheers!

Jun 22, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

You *are* of a rare breed... I just don't see how IEMs could sound as good as REAL cans.

Quote:

I totally agree with your thin -vs- thick analogies. That is definitely it in a nutshell. You've just gotta have both types and choose one based on brighter, thinner, less soundstage -vs- deeper, thicker, more soundstage... in a roundabout way.

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #15 of 15
It depends on what you think is "good" bass. Car audio boxes are a very awesome example of open and closed....the tighter the box is and less air it has the tighter and harder the bass sounds for the most part (depending on design)....I mean.... a tighter box is generally going to sound MUCH tighter and harder than a speaker suspended from your trunk. :p The one thing that will benefit you with open cans is their soundstage....depending if that's even something you like. I've tried A LOT of cans in my time to find a good one for bass (I listen to house, trance, and electro mainly)....and I loved closed cans at first because the bass was SO hard for the price, but as I got to where I am I realized that it's not about that lower frequency...it's about ALL of it...the resolution, soundstage, treble, non-distortion, and MOSTLY style
wink.gif

I LOVE IEMs compared to ANY can's I've ever heard for my weird breed of sound-preference..... idk. But it goes back to that closed design... compression makes that bass sound crazy imo and ime O_o idk, to each of their own I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back