Closed Can <$100: I have narrowed it down to these two
Oct 18, 2006 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

1000+ Head-Fier
AKG K81DJ or Sennheiser HD280 PRO.

The K81DJ is a bit cheaper and also looks nicer, but it seems the HD280 Pro is better ("seems") sound-wise. The HD280 Pro also comes in a silver version, so it can gain a little on the looks department if I shell out an extra $15 or so.

Anyway, between these two, which one?

(I already have an MS-1, but this decision is a gift for someone else who liked my MS-1 but said they HAVE to have closed cans and I won't spend over $100).

Oct 18, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 3
The HD280 isolates a lot more, squeezes your head a whole lot more, and is less bassy and less "fun." The K81DJ is more portable, more comfortable, and and bassier and more fun but I find it muffled-sounding (though less so if you add an amp).

Between the two I'd take the HD280 since I find its sound signature preferable, but if comfort and bass are more important to you, then the K81DJ would be the more likely choice.

For what it's worth - and this is not only not the question you asked but very much a minority opinion on Head-Fi - I prefer the HD25-SP (similar price range) to either of those. It is more comfortable and more portable than the HD280, sounds similar to it and isolates a good deal more than the K81DJ (though not as much as the HD280).

Edit: - I just only just now reread this part: Quote:

this decision is a gift for someone else who liked my MS-1 but said they HAVE to have closed cans

In that case I'd say K81DJ. I think it's a less risky choice as a gift than the HD280, which has size, weight, comfort and style going against it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back