Closed, bright, planar magnetic headphones? ~$400
Mar 13, 2015 at 11:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Lehcs

New Head-Fier
I've been enjoying my open headphones a lot over the winter, but I need preparation for the summer when i have an air conditioner directly next to my setup. 
I'd probably want to get some planar magnetic headphones, since those are supposed to sound good for electronic stuff. I prefer treble-centric headphones with recessed bass.
I pretty much only listen to various metal and edm.
Anything new would be driven by an ODAC+O2.
Comfort is important too.
Max budget is around $400, but if there is something significantly better for more go ahead and convince me to buy it.
I'm thinking about getting the dt770's even though they aren't planar magnetic but I keep hearing mix messages about the sound signature.

tl;dr, comfortable, bright, planar magnetic for around $400 or less
Thanks

Mar 13, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 15
If you are looking for good closed planar magnetics, as far as I know there are two options under $400: the MrSpeakers Mad Dogs or the Oppo PM-3. Judging from reviews (I've been looking for planar magnetics myself), the Oppo will suit you better. It has a flatter bass (not elevated) and it has more presence in the treble, but neither of the two have elevated treble.

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #3 of 15
Ok, lets back up here. One of the main reasons people recommend planars for electronic is the bass. Planars generally have good bass. If you want recessed bass, there's 0 reason to limit yourself to planars. Also, none of the inexpensive closed planars are particularly bright.

I'd recommend the Bang and Olufson H6 for a closed headphone with a brighter balance. It's nicely refined, bright without being irritating.

Most Beyerdynamics will have bright treble AND emphasized bass.

What headphones do you own already and how do you like them?

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 15
K550 is great choice.. has great sweet trebe and mid range. I sold it for not having enough punch for rock music, bought denon ATH D600 instead. But I do miss the trebe from K550.

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #6 of 15
What open headphones do you have already? And can you describe how you want your closed headphones to sound relative to them? That gives us a better point of reference for understanding what would be best for you :)

Mar 13, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #7 of 15
I have HD 558s and grado 225e. I prefer the grados for everything except comfort but i wouldnt mind trying a new sound signature as long as it doesn't have overwhelming bass.

Mar 13, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #8 of 15
  If you are looking for good closed planar magnetics, as far as I know there are two options under $400: the MrSpeakers Mad Dogs or the Oppo PM-3. Judging from reviews (I've been looking for planar magnetics myself), the Oppo will suit you better. It has a flatter bass (not elevated) and it has more presence in the treble, but neither of the two have elevated treble.

Yeah I dont think the Mad Dogs are a good choice for the OP.  I found them to be an excellent sounding phone with a smoothly rolled off, and very polite yet still present treble.  I generally prefer a slowly rolled off treble relative to upper mids, the K701 is about as treble bright as I care to go, and I found the MDs very appealing for my preferences.  Regarding the Fostex T50RP, there might be a mod out there in that monster DIY thread to help boost its treble or conversely recess its upper mids... but I don't think there is

Mar 13, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #9 of 15
Ok, lets back up here. One of the main reasons people recommend planars for electronic is the bass. Planars generally have good bass. If you want recessed bass, there's 0 reason to limit yourself to planars. Also, none of the inexpensive closed planars are particularly bright.

I'd recommend the Bang and Olufson H6 for a closed headphone with a brighter balance. It's nicely refined, bright without being irritating.

Most Beyerdynamics will have bright treble AND emphasized bass.

What headphones do you own already and how do you like them?

The reason i was looking at planar magnetics was the faster decay.

Mar 13, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #10 of 15
The reason i was looking at planar magnetics was the faster decay.

x2... fast decay and deeper sub bass extension... planars and electrostats too are very good in this regard.

One of the problems though with CSD plotting is they cut off the bass, in order to retain millisecond resolution for the highs.  I don't think I have seen any plots done to compare bass performance.

Mar 13, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #11 of 15
x2... fast decay across the spectrum and deeper sub bass extension... planars are far superior in this regard to the TOTL dynamics.

Yep. If planar magnetics were feasible for making home audio subwoofers, there would be a huge market for them. Unfortunately, they can't produce the necessary SPL.

Mar 13, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #12 of 15
Yep. If planar magnetics were feasible for making home audio subwoofers, there would be a huge market for them. Unfortunately, they can't produce the necessary SPL.

I updated my comments... I should know better than to make "absolute-sweeping" statements like that.  There are always exceptions.

Mar 13, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #13 of 15
I updated my comments... I should know better than to make "absolute-sweeping" statements like that.  There are always exceptions.

You are right about the bass quality, though. It's too bad they aren't feasible for home audio for subwoofers. I have a very good subwoofer setup in my home, and my HE-400s just have fantastic bass texture. I'd love to have their sound in my living room :D

Mar 13, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #14 of 15
Hifiman HE-4 + a powerful amp (500mW+ minimum into 38 ohms IIRC) would probably be the cheapest and brightest planar can that you can find. Highly regarded can at almost any price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back