Closed back within 150-200
Nov 5, 2019 at 8:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ithehappy

100+ Head-Fier
Hey fellas,

I am looking to purchase a new headphone. I use a DT770 32 ohms currently, for last 3.5 years and I am looking to upgrade from this. Mainly because of the comfort factor, I need extreme comfort. The Dt770s have been the most painful cans I have used in my life (yes, contrary to what most reviews say) and also I am highly suspicious about its build quality now as well.

Budget- My budget is up to 300 USD. I live in India, so things costs a lot here and most choices are not available either. So kindly suggest more than one product, as one might be available other not.

Sound and Comfort- I need them to sound neutral, but with a tendency towards the V shape. You know a little bright sound, but not too much. Everything though should be better than the dt770, sound stage, detail, tonal quality and all. Everything but Bass, however. Bass should be less than dt770, this one has bombastic bass. I love bass by the way, but not when it overpowers every other frequency. A tight, compact bass is preferred, which can be felt but so can other freqs along with it.

And on comfort, it should be like pillows to me ears. Like how the 100 AAP was, or even the M40X.

The headphone must be CLOSE BACK. And I use a Asus Z170 Pro Gaming motherboard, not sure which DAC it uses, but if it can sufficiently power a headphone more than 32 ohms then I will opt for 80 ohms version this time.

Build quality- I will be using this for at least five years down the line. So build quality should be really good. I shouldn't expect any cracks anywhere on the unit for my very regular usage, unlike the Dt770.

Kindly advise.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 13
I am pretty new at this but recently bought Audio Tehnica ATH-MSR7 and ATH-M50x and Sennheiser HD 569. Returned the last two, the MSR7 is by far the superior pair, at least for me. A little bright maybe, measured and clear bass but on the 'normal' side, not boomy. On the comfort side, they are not as comfortable as the Sennheiser and are clamping a bit too much but for a few hours a day they are fine.

All in all, I love the sound, the comfort is fine for me and I recommend them.

As for the DAC, I have a somewhat similar Z170 Gigabyte Gaming 3 motherboard and the sound was OK, it has sufficient power. However, now I'm using a FiiO K3 DAC at home, Audioengine D3 at work and my wife uses a Cambridge Audio SoundMagic XS. All are inexpensive entry level DACs and sound pretty close one to another, but any of the 3 sounds way way better compared to the motherboard integrated soundcard. Worth the money, definitely.

Nov 6, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #4 of 13
I am pretty new at this but recently bought Audio Tehnica ATH-MSR7 and ATH-M50x and Sennheiser HD 569. Returned the last two, the MSR7 is by far the superior pair, at least for me. A little bright maybe, measured and clear bass but on the 'normal' side, not boomy. On the comfort side, they are not as comfortable as the Sennheiser and are clamping a bit too much but for a few hours a day they are fine.

All in all, I love the sound, the comfort is fine for me and I recommend them.

As for the DAC, I have a somewhat similar Z170 Gigabyte Gaming 3 motherboard and the sound was OK, it has sufficient power. However, now I'm using a FiiO K3 DAC at home, Audioengine D3 at work and my wife uses a Cambridge Audio SoundMagic XS. All are inexpensive entry level DACs and sound pretty close one to another, but any of the 3 sounds way way better compared to the motherboard integrated soundcard. Worth the money, definitely.
Hello, a question about the comfort of the ATH-MSR7 compared to the ATH-M50X? I had the M50X and the headband was very hard and uncomfortable, could the MSR7 be much more padded?

Nov 6, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #5 of 13
Hello, a question about the comfort of the ATH-MSR7 compared to the ATH-M50X? I had the M50X and the headband was very hard and uncomfortable, could the MSR7 be much more padded?
I did not feel that M50x were uncomfortable, about the same level as MSR7 for me, possibly a bit better even. The MSR7 won't win any contest in this regard and are not as comfortable as the Sennheiser HD 569 or ATH-AVC500 which I use at home until Philips X2 arrive. But I use them at only at work for about 3-4 hours a day and they are fine. If you plan to use them 8 hours a day, probably are better options out there.

Nov 6, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #6 of 13
I did not feel that M50x were uncomfortable, about the same level as MSR7 for me, possibly a bit better even. The MSR7 won't win any contest in this regard and are not as comfortable as the Sennheiser HD 569 or ATH-AVC500 which I use at home until Philips X2 arrive. But I use them at only at work for about 3-4 hours a day and they are fine. If you plan to use them 8 hours a day, probably are better options out there.
Thank you for your response, there are people who say that the M50X is not uncomfortable, I can not use them for more than 30 minutes because they make me uncomfortable, very hard. So if the MSR7 are not what I am looking for, I will have to keep looking. The Sennheiser HD 569 how are they in sound?

Nov 6, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #7 of 13
Thank you for your response, there are people who say that the M50X is not uncomfortable, I can not use them for more than 30 minutes because they make me uncomfortable, very hard. So if the MSR7 are not what I am looking for, I will have to keep looking. The Sennheiser HD 569 how are they in sound?
They are decent but I like the MSR7 way better. The 569 sound a bit unnatural to me, not sure if this is the best way to describe them. Also less detail and less 'full' sound. I am really new at this so you might want to take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

Had a pair of re-sealed/returned MSR7b for couple days but there was definitely something wrong with them, they sounded noticeably worse than my MSR7s and not at all like the reviews I read, so I returned them. But comfort wise they are way lighter, way less clamp and definitely more comfortable than MSR7s. Comfort wise, I definitely recommend them. Sound wise, the reviews are really great and most say they sound a bit better than MSR7. So you might want to try these.

Nov 6, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #8 of 13
So what are my alternatives fellas? So far I see suggestions as in HD 598CS and ATH MSR7 right? Are both of these better alternatives and considered an upgrade over the DT770?

If not, if I increase my budget a little bit, say up to 300 bucks, would anything be available which can outdo the DT770 easy? I just don't want to do a sidegrade but a proper upgrade that's all.

Nov 6, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #9 of 13
So what are my alternatives fellas? So far I see suggestions as in HD 598CS and ATH MSR7 right? Are both of these better alternatives and considered an upgrade over the DT770?

If not, if I increase my budget a little bit, say up to 300 bucks, would anything be available which can outdo the DT770 easy? I just don't want to do a sidegrade but a proper upgrade that's all.
I think the best for 200 dollars are the Meze 99 NEO, I do not consider them because they are not for urban use. But whatever you say, you will use them on the computer, so they will be perfect for you.

Nov 6, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #12 of 13
I think the best for 200 dollars are the Meze 99 NEO, I do not consider them because they are not for urban use. But whatever you say, you will use them on the computer, so they will be perfect for you.
Problem might be with servicing for where I live, in case the situation arrives. When you don't live in the western world, for after sales service's sake you have to stick with the so called mainline brands, like AT, Senn, Beyer, Shure etc. But thanks for your suggestion, appreciate it.

I can go up to 250-300 by the way. I see a some cans from this Ultrasone company, although I have never heard about them much anything worth considering amongst them? The only reason I ask because of their really extended customer care service available for my place.

Nov 6, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #13 of 13
Problem might be with servicing for where I live, in case the situation arrives. When you don't live in the western world, for after sales service's sake you have to stick with the so called mainline brands, like AT, Senn, Beyer, Shure etc. But thanks for your suggestion, appreciate it.

I can go up to 250-300 by the way. I see a some cans from this Ultrasone company, although I have never heard about them much anything worth considering amongst them? The only reason I ask because of their really extended customer care service available for my place.
But do not discard it by the SAT, it is very good. So good that a few years ago they changed the almhoadillas and for those who had bought the headphones they sent others without cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back