Closed Back upgrade recommendations from the DT770 Pro 80ohm
Jul 13, 2017 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hendo

New Head-Fier
I have been using closed back headphones at work for the last few years. I have owned the Beyerdynamic DT770 for the last 8 years and in the last two I have paired them up with an Apogee Groove. I have a pair of Grado SR125 at home but people always complain when I rock out at work using open back headphones so I have kept them at home.

I listen to electronic and classic rock. Things like Breakbot, Chromeo, Daft Punk, The Pattern Forms, and Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, Dire Straits, Clapton, etc ...

While I am not a bass head I do appreciate hearing the lower tones. I don't like it when the lower tones distort or overwhelm the mix. I find that some recordings even with the groove will clip the lower frequencies through the DT770s.

I've been looking at the Meze 99 classics but I have a big head and ears so that gives me a bit of pause and the reviews of the OPPO PM3's being a bit flat EQ has given me some hesitation with those as well. Any other good close back recommendations out there? Looking at under $700 and am willing to shop around awhile for a used set if that will put me in range for something good.

Jul 13, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 5
Mr.Speaker Aeon for a more neutral pleasant musical comfortable experience
ZMF Atticus for a more bass impact +lovely mids for those guitars,will have to stretch your budget,tho...

Jul 13, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 5
I have been using closed back headphones at work for the last few years. I have owned the Beyerdynamic DT770 for the last 8 years and in the last two I have paired them up with an Apogee Groove. I have a pair of Grado SR125 at home but people always complain when I rock out at work using open back headphones so I have kept them at home.

I listen to electronic and classic rock. Things like Breakbot, Chromeo, Daft Punk, The Pattern Forms, and Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, Dire Straits, Clapton, etc ...

While I am not a bass head I do appreciate hearing the lower tones. I don't like it when the lower tones distort or overwhelm the mix. I find that some recordings even with the groove will clip the lower frequencies through the DT770s.

I've been looking at the Meze 99 classics but I have a big head and ears so that gives me a bit of pause and the reviews of the OPPO PM3's being a bit flat EQ has given me some hesitation with those as well. Any other good close back recommendations out there? Looking at under $700 and am willing to shop around awhile for a used set if that will put me in range for something good.
Check out the MrSpeakers AEON. It is just a bit over your budget and is well worth it. It doesn't have massive bass by any means but it does have high quality bass. Maybe read about it and see what you think. Not sure if it would work for you but it might. See what you think.
If you want to keep cost down, I would recommend the B&W P7. Great bass extension on that one with nice detail. Maybe look into that one as well. It also might work for you.
I agree the MEZE might not fit you. I suppose you could always return them if they don't work out for you. Some people consider the PM-3 a tad on the boring side, FWIW.
Last thought is a TH-X00--it would likely satisfy your bass interests without stepping on the mids. Nice headphone.

Jul 13, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #4 of 5
I'll definitely have to check out the Mr. Speaker AEON. Considering the ZMF atticus ... Monsterzero have you demo'd the two side by side. Does the ZMF blow away the AEON or is the improvement pretty subtle? Considering it's a $200 bump from the AEON I'd be curious if the improvement vast enough to shell out another $200.

Jul 13, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #5 of 5
I'll definitely have to check out the Mr. Speaker AEON. Considering the ZMF atticus ... Monsterzero have you demo'd the two side by side. Does the ZMF blow away the AEON or is the improvement pretty subtle? Considering it's a $200 bump from the AEON I'd be curious if the improvement vast enough to shell out another $200.

I dont think that it "blows it away" rather theyre designed for an entirely different market.The Atticus is a fun sounding headphone that when driven well has insane bass slam,in addition to forward mids,which is quite the rare combo.I will be honest and say that the Atticus,while easy-ish to drive,is still quite amp picky.I would highly suggest asking @zach915m for amp recommendations before buying an Atticus.Its sibling,Eikon is apparently easier for amp matching,but lacks that slam that I like.

The Aeon is a more neutrally tuned headphone that occupies rare price space...in fact its one of only a few in that above 500.00 but below 1000.00 range...it is priced well....and sounds good straight out of a DAP or phone,but scales well with an amp/DAC.

Honestly you cant go wrong with either HP,both are made by stand up guys who care about their customers and their headphones are a work of passion.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back