Closed back unamped for acoustic classical and folk?
Mar 24, 2015 at 7:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Minstrel59

Head-Fier
Up to 350GBP

For:
. Clarity
. Precision
. Natural, neutral sound
. Good imaging and soundstaging
. Low listener fatigue

For listening to acoustic sound:
. Piano
. Cello
. Human voice

It's for very quiet low volume listening (but I guess I could EQ the bass if need be).

To be used direct with no dedicated amplifier

Definitely nothing strident and shrieky!

Thanks in advance

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 8
  Second hand Rs1?

Those are open back.

You should read about:
AKG K550 variants
Sony MDR 1R/1A
Soundmagic HP150
Shure SRH-940
AudioTechnica ATH-A900X

Best Luck!

Mar 24, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for those suggestions. I tried the 940's. Gave me earache. But I DO have sensitive ears (Hyperacusis).

Then you are better going with something like the Sony MDR-1R/1A, Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear, Focal Spirit Pro/Classic, NAD Viso HP50 or B&W P7

Best Luck!

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #5 of 8
ZMF v1.

The Focals sound good but they're basically on ear; Classic has better build quality.

Mar 25, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #8 of 8
Hi claritas

So they are described as closed back over ear but in reality they are a bit small?

They sound the same but classic has better build?

That's right. Focal calls them full size so reviewers follow their lead, but they're partly on ear for most users because the opening in the pad is smaller than the average human ear.

The Classic sounds very slightly different: just a little laid back in comparison. The basic driver is almost certainly the same. The difference is attributable either to the housing or maybe a coating on the driver (that's pretty common) or both. They both sound good, but I wouldn't recommend anyone buy the Pro over the Classic because of the differences in build and comfort. A good number of Pros develop cracks in the headbands and eventually break, but not the Classics because they use a more flexible material. The Classic has better padding on the whole headband and a nicer cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back