Closed back recommendations
Sep 30, 2023 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

lifeson

500+ Head-Fier
Need a closed back in the up to $1000 range.
Any advice on these ? Or anything else really.
Denon 5200
Denon 7200
DCA Aeon 2
DCA Aeon 2 Noire
Audeze LCD2 closed
Focal Celestee

Prefer not drop stuff - am in UK.
Prefer - warmish sound with some clarity/detail, needs some bass, slightly V shape is OK, a bit of treble boost is fine (middle aged ears), just something to relax to, not mid forward and shouty.
Soundstage not a priority but nothing too confined and intimate.
Mainly listen to rock, blues, prog rock, metal, acoustic, folk, some electronic.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Don't mind some mild EQing.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #2 of 13
What amp are you using?
The ZMF Atticus checks most of your boxes. Warm, fantastic midbass slam, non fatiguing. The only possible issue for you might be the treble.

Sep 30, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #4 of 13
No experience with the Asgard 3, but it's low output impedance might not have the best synergy with high impedance headphones like the Atticus.
You can get opinions on this pairing in this thread

Dunno about the logistics involved, but you may consider giving Acorn Audio a call

Sep 30, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #7 of 13
We have an AKG K371 wired version and it's well tuned and really comfortable and light, easy to power with harman target tuning.
The Heddphone was warm and smooth, but really heavy to wear more than an hour. The Beyerdynamic DT1770 was a much better value and all day comfort. The B pads were too warm but the A (velour) are just right.

Oct 1, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #8 of 13
Need a closed back in the up to $1000 range.
Any advice on these ? Or anything else really.
Denon 5200
Denon 7200
DCA Aeon 2
DCA Aeon 2 Noire
Audeze LCD2
Focal Celestee

Prefer not drop stuff - am in UK.
Prefer - warmish sound with some clarity/detail, needs some bass, slightly V shape is OK, a bit of treble boost is fine (middle aged ears), just something to relax to, not mid forward and shouty.
Soundstage not a priority but nothing too confined and intimate.
Mainly listen to rock, blues, prog rock, metal, acoustic, folk, some electronic.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Don't mind some mild EQing.
A used HD820.
Where in London are you
I have HD820
Stellia
Noire
ATH AWAS
Aeolus
Gjallahorn gh50
Welcome to have a listen, stay away from the LCD XC whatever you d, they are the worst most shouty headphones I've ever heard.

Oct 1, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #9 of 13
A used HD820.
Where in London are you
I have HD820
Stellia
Noire
ATH AWAS
Aeolus
Gjallahorn gh50
Welcome to have a listen, stay away from the LCD XC whatever you d, they are the worst most shouty headphones I've ever heard.
I had not heard of Gjallahorn and Kennerton in general.
Their Magni looks more in my price range and the limited reviews I see suggest it might be what I am looking for.
Have you heard that one ?

Oct 1, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #11 of 13
I had not heard of Gjallahorn and Kennerton in general.
Their Magni looks more in my price range and the limited reviews I see suggest it might be what I am looking for.
Have you heard that one ?
The only thing is the metal headband suffers from terrible resonance, I like the sound of the GH50 but this really does ruin the experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back