Closed back, recommendation
Dec 4, 2022 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

bluex

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I want to buy something, closed back, for about 900 - 1100 euro
I'll use them on PC only, soundcard is Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus ( up to 600 Ω ) maybe I'll replace it in the future
I do listen a lot of rock, hard-rock, metal, pop, etc ( no Hip-Hop and stuff like that )
What would you recommend ? I'd like a bit of bass, but not extrem much
I've read / watched / some threads / reviews about :

Focal Celestee
Audeze LCD-2 Classic
Dan Clark Audio AEON 2
HIFIMAN HE-R10D
Beyerdynamic Amiron Home
Audeze LCD-XC ( more than I'd like to spend, but if worth, yes )

Thank you, any advices are welcome

Dec 4, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 42
If you can find it used in your budget, the Denon D9200.

Dec 4, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 42
Thanks, msing539
Do you own them ? If so, how can you describe the sound quality ? What kind of music do you listen ?
You're welcome. Yes, I own them and they're on my 'never sell' list.

I listen to pop, 80s, synth, edm, classic rock, rock, alternative, orchestral. I'd describe them as fun--the low end is articulate with lots of detail and fullness, mids are forward, there is a treble peak which can be mitigated with EQ, R2R source, pads, etc. but it adds a welcome sparkle. Only thing lacking for some is soundstage and comfort is hit or miss--I add a headband pad so it's a non issue personally.

TImbre is excellent, better than any Focal for me including the Stellia.

Dec 4, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #7 of 42
I owned Shure 1540, Beyerdynamic T5P 3rd gen
Could you compare the Beyerdynamic with Denon D9200 ?

Sorry, I can't compare those with the D9200 as I haven't heard them, but maybe someone in the D9200 impressions thread owns at least two.

Dec 4, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #9 of 42
Thank you, again
One more question : is it possible to replace the earpads ?

Yes, pads are replaceable but they're not easy to get, at least in the US. I ordered them and they took 12-14 weeks to be delivered.

Dec 4, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #11 of 42
Dec 4, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #13 of 42
You're welcome. Yes, I own them and they're on my 'never sell' list.

I listen to pop, 80s, synth, edm, classic rock, rock, alternative, orchestral. I'd describe them as fun--the low end is articulate with lots of detail and fullness, mids are forward, there is a treble peak which can be mitigated with EQ, R2R source, pads, etc. but it adds a welcome sparkle. Only thing lacking for some is soundstage and comfort is hit or miss--I add a headband pad so it's a non issue personally.

TImbre is excellent, better than any Focal for me including the Stellia.
I agree with most of this, however I don't hear the mids as being forward, compared to some headphones that are well known for being mid forward. Ever so slightly recessed in the mid mids, and perhaps in the low mids. I also feel that they could have a little more grunt - meat on the bones.

Dec 4, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #15 of 42
Is hard to say what type of sound signature I prefer. As I said, I owned the Shure 1540 and Beyerdynamic T5 3rd gen
Beyerdynamic were okay, I'd like something like those
Denon D9200 should be a great choice, I wish I could find someone here, for a comparison between Denom and Beyerdynamic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back