Closed back portable headphones on par or superior to portapros?
Nov 29, 2009 at 8:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

umbrecensor

New Head-Fier
Need something moderately cheap for casual listening that I can take around outside. I have the Portapro but because its open back it is pretty much garbage on travel. Don't feel like getting IEMs because I'm under the impression that to get sound on par with a $30 portable headphone like the Portapro you would have to pay a lot more than that.

I've tried my friends PX200 but it honestly can't compare to the Portapro. Price isn't too much of an issue so don't write IEMs off just yet, but I just want to know the price to sound quality equivalent for different types of headphones.

So if $30 will get me Portapros open back portable headphones. How much am I looking at for closed back portables with similar/and or superior sound? How much will it cost me for IEMs with similar/and or superior sound?

Nov 29, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #2 of 2
I think the cheapest closed headphone that I prefer over the PortaPros (but doesn't necessarily sound better empirically) is the JVC HA-S700. The HA-M750 is even better but has ungodly amounts of bass. Of course to move up a level from the Portas you'd have to spend more - ATH-ES7s, Creative Aurvana Live! (Same drivers as Denon D1001k), and the Sennheiser HD25-1 II surpass the Portas by a good margin in my book.

IEMs might be a cheaper way to go - budget stuff like the RadioPaq Jazz, Maximo Im-590, Soundmagic PL50, etc. all have balance and detail superior to the portas. You won't get the airy feel or the bass power though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back