Closed-back over the ear w/ inline mic and good isolation
Apr 10, 2014 at 7:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

LazerBear

Head-Fier
Hello guys, I'm a new user of these forums but have been browsing them for the better part of a year and I know there are a lot of awesome people around! I am currently using a pair of Klipsch s4a as my daily driver, and while I like them I feel like they miss the airier soundstage of on-the-ear and over-the-ear headphones (I still have a very old pair of Sony MDR-XB500 and, while extremely bass-heavy, they still sound more engaging than my s4a in quiet environments). That and I have two very different ear canals, so putting them on with the right seal is always a pain.

Now, I know that there have been a few similar threads, and I checked out most of them, but am not yet quite satisfied so I'll try to be a bit more specific.

These are my requirements, in order of importance:

1) In-line mic and easy to drive from portable source (not amped)
2) Good isolation (they will be used for commuting in subway mostly. I am not expecting IEM levels of isolation, but I need as much as possible)
3) Slightly on the dark end of the spectrum but not necessarily too much (I listen to a lot of rock and metal but also classical, electronic and pretty much anything else but pop)
4) Price below 300 USD, sweet spot would be under 200 USD
5) Portable/durable if possible. I always have a backpack with me, so it is not a huge problem, but I will use them outside 99% of the time.

This is what I found:
- V-Moda M100: They are okay, but I tried them and isolation is terrible. they literally have holes in the outer cover.
- Shure SRH840: just found out about these in another thread. They do not seem to have inline mic, but the cable is removable so I guess I could add it on? Also, most people seem to think they are a bit too big to use outside.
- Sennheiser Momentum: this is where all my googling always ends up. The price is at the very upper end of my budget and I am not sure if the isolation is good (some reviewers seem to think it is very poor)

So, I would appreciate any input on the matter (included the "just buy a better pair of IEM" kind, since that's kind of my plan B), and I thank you all in advance for any help you might provide!

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #2 of 8
Check out the Don Scorpio Dolphins. Not very much fuzz about them bet they're really really good and they'll only set you back $99 shipped!

Isolation is top notch and they come with one cable with mic and one without.

Apr 11, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 8
I'm on my way to work right now but do a search in this threafd:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/684159/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-headphones-iems-amps-dacs/2430#post_10445884

Otherwise I'll elaborate further tonight.

Apr 11, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 8
OK, back home again.

Have you heard the Sennheiser Momentum (over ear)?

The Dolphin's remind a lot of them. Both have a overall warm signature and a balanced sound with a little extra bass. The Dolphin's has a bit more subbass and are also a little clearer.

The only grip I've got with the Dolphin's is that they have a little small soundstage. I'm a sucker for large soundstage and I usually prefer open headphones. The Dolphin's offer a nice intimate sound with good layering and separation so I still enjoy them a lot.

The isolation is about as good as it get without active noise cancelling.

The build is all plastic but they still feels sturdy and reliable.

Hope this helps.

You should also check out twister6's review wich includes some great pictures as well.

Peter

Apr 14, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #8 of 8
  Ok thanks a lot for the input.. here the Dolphin are pretty cheap so I guess I'll give them a shot!

Nice to hear, I hope that you will enjoy them as muc as I do 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back