Closed-back, over-ears for under $300 - trying to decide between a few - any suggestions?
Oct 3, 2017 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

baddoctor

New Head-Fier
I don't really have a lot of audiophile experience. The most "advanced" headphones I've owned are the Sennheiser Momentum on-ears (first gen). I'm looking to upgrade to more comfortable over-ears. Need something that provides good isolation and no leakage since I'll be using them on my work commute and in the office. In terms of music, I have pretty eclectic tastes and listen to a bit of everything - indie/alt rock, hip hop, electronic, ambient, instrumentals, classical, pop etc. etc.

What would be my best all-around option? I narrowed it down to these:

- Meze 99 Classics
- V-Moda M100
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7
- NAD VISO HP50
- Shure SRH1540 (probably a bit over the range I listed, but I'll consider it)

I should add that I prefer my music to be more "fun" than overly detailed or analytical, although I am a huge fan of a nice, creamy mid-range :)

Any suggestions from the list I posted? Anything else?

Oct 3, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 3
Meze 99 Classics would be what I would suggest. They have a very fun signature and a good mid-range. The Shures have better isolation but I find the mid range lacking especially if you crank the music up at all. I don't listen at high volumes but very occasionally on a new set of headphones or a new track I will crank it up for a couple minutes. The SRH1540 bass becomes more and more boomy the louder it is listened to.

I have a least listened to all of those except the HP50. I wasn't blown away by the MSR7 but I didn't listen that long. I found the M100 massively uncomfortable.

Oct 3, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #3 of 3
Honestly you'd be pretty well off with the Momentum 2 over ear. They fixed all the issues with the first gen and sound nice and punchy. I use them on the train and have zero complaints

Users who are viewing this thread

Back