Closed-Back Over Ear Planar/Orthos?
Nov 6, 2016 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DronEvil

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I just got a Fiio X7 a bit ago with the AM3 balanced module.  I currently only have a pair of DT770s (250ohm) for my "portable" usage. I'm looking to up the game a bit because I now have a hi-fi portable source (unforunately my old portable dac/amp died about a year ago and I didn't replace it until now). I like the DT770s ok, but I'm really looking to get a pair of Planars, because I've come to love them quite a bit because I have a sick fully balanced setup with HE560s, Little Dot VI+ (with legit mullard ecc32s) and Audio-GD NFB-28 at home. I have used a pair of Alpha Dogs before with a Fiio portable amp (bought them as a give for a friend who i'm getting into HiFi) and I thoroughly enjoyed them, but they are a bit "sweaty" for my tastes (but it's something I think I could probably get used to over time).

I've done alot of reading the latest Alpha-Dogs (prime), EL-8, and PM-3. I've also looked at the new MonoPrice Monolith offerings and the closed set seems interesting. 

My budget is flexible. Hoping for something less than $700 (no sense in connecting a $1k pair of cans to a $500 DAP, and I also wouldn't really want to take anything in that price range around the city with me every day).  I mostly would be using these on the subway, in my office, and in datacenters (i'm a computer engineer) so fully-closed and good isolation is a must.

Maybe I am fooling myself though? Maybe I should be looking at IEMs?  I have a friend who has a pair of Gorilla Ears IEMs and he swears by them (but I obviously can't listen to them cause their custom for his ear).  I have NO experience with IEMs whatsoever, and I generally shy away from them because I always lose them/break them/put them through the wash. I have a pair VSONIC GR07s, which are the best IEMs i've used (but that's not saying much). They are OK, but they definitely have sibilance and distortion on high-listening levels (which I am forced to use quite often because most of my catalog are 24bit/192kHz vinyl flac rips i did myself, or acquired on what.cd etc, and we all know that generally speaking vinal flac audio levels are quieter since they are most often recorded at near line-level inputs.)

SO, the TL;DR is, recommend me closed back, over ear, Planars (and not LCD-XC, which I think is dope, but isn't in my price range, nor would I use something that much $$$ for portable use). OR, tell me that this is a fool's errand, and I should just spend time getting educated on IEMs and go that route.  Acceptable answers could also be: wait for that monoprice **** to drop so we can see how good they are and/or wait for X vendor's new offering to drop (that i'm not currently up on the news for). 

I mostly listen to Metal/Hip Hop. I like CONTROLLED BASS, not over-EQ'd hypped up nonsense. I value CLARITY/SEPARATION/SOUNDSTAGE over anything. I generally like dark/warm over bright/cold. As you can see, this is why I liker Planars. I'm currently leaning towards ZMF Blackwoods, but I think the PM-3 and EL-8 are interesting, but they have VERY mixed reviews.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Nov 6, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 3
I really liked the pm3 when i tried then, i havent seen anything bad written about them either

Yeah, I haven't read that they are bad, just that their sound-stage and imaging isn't quite up to par with the Alpha Dog (which the non-prime version can be had for less than PM-3 if you are patient and look around).

Does anyone know of any soon-to-be-release Closed Planars in the works other than the monoprice one? I haven't been keeping up on all the latest stuff because I really haven't bought much audio stuff since i completed my home setup about a year ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back