Closed Back (Over Ear) Headphones Options $400 or Under
Jan 13, 2017 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Taylor Smith

Head-Fier
Edit: I have no problem shopping used.

Hey Everyone, 

I'm quite a long time lurker here and other places, but have finally made the plunge to ask for some recommendations and contribute. Living in central Ohio I do not know of any place to audition any products I am interested besides what is available at Sam Ash or Guitar Center sadly. No foreseeable trips to Cincinnati in the near future either.  I see a lot of great suggestions from contributors and would like to add my particular taste in the mix. 

I am currently looking for a relatively easy to drive closed back (Over Ear) headphone to use for travelling or use around campus, libraries, home.. an all rounder for sorts. . Largeness and leak is a mild factor in my purchase. I also wear glasses so a larger ear pad is recommended to create a good seal.

Here are some attributes I prefer:
Rich or fun sound, wider soundstage (wide enough), good dynamics, balanced sound, sound signature between neutral and V- Shaped, prefer non-recessed mids that accompany a more prominent punch to low end that keeps mid present, detachable cable . Obviously there is give and take for any of these. While sound quality is very important, a good looking portable headphone and presentation can also win me over in hand. Sound and Look is complimentary.

To continue I'll go through my recent closed back purchases ( in chronological order ) to give you a better picture of what I'm looking for.

-Beyerdynamic DT-770 80ohm
Too V- shaped for my liking. Soundstage is wonderful and dynamics are there. Loved the high end detail that the 770's are known for. Low end a little too bumped up, but overall lively to listen to. Very comfortable velour pads and size did not bother me. (Planning to sell)

-AIAIAI TMA-2 - S04 driver & E05 Microfiber Earpads
Oh no no no. Intrigued by modularity and left disappointed. Boomy, lack of finesse and clarity in every range, too V-shaped. Pads felt more like on ears, do not cover entire ear enough.  Size too small and caused issues with my glasses
(Returned)

-B&O H6 (Generation 2)
An interesting sound signature that is more neutral than the previous purchases. Although the mids were excellent and staging was pretty good, although I found the signature lacking in depth. It is very odd to describe the lacking feeling of the lower mids ( if I recall correctly )? Lively but not rich, anemic feeling. Earpad and headphone sized just big enough.
( Returned )

-Master & Dynamic MH40 Gunmetal
Took me a couple days to grasped the interesting sound signature, but the more I listened the more I liked! While the low end is not super tight, it is controlled well and adds the right amount of detail, fullness, and punch for my liking. Low end wit the right amount of presence. Mh40's mids were just about at the point I am satisfied without calling them recessed. High end present enough for me and sound stage is enough. Very Dynamic and energetic headphone. I would like a signature as close to this as possible! My issues with the MH40's are the lack of good seal with glasses on, and how much fiddling is needed to create a perfect seal. I'm thinking of buying the alcantara pads that may help airflow through the pads (unlike the leathers).  I'm keeping these for now while I continue searching. 
( In possession) 

- OPPO PM-3
Just got these today and will immediately return. Too neutral for my liking and felt lacking like my previous H6's. Too laid back like the Meze 99's, but even more troubling to my ears. Low end lacked presence for my tastes, but mids were excellent. For some reason high's felt extremely shouty to my ears? Felt less controlled than Q701's or the AKG KXXX series ( I expect a lot of different opinions on this one haha). 

Currently Reading Up On
Final Audio Design Sonorous III and Shure 1540's as possible contenders?

As you can see, I prefer the MH40's heavily for its unique, fun signature, look, and presentation. If I could have help finding some alternatives that are somewhat similar I will be forever grateful. Please feel free to ask me more questions, give me feedback or give an opinion. I'm trying not to write a novel here. Thanks guys!

Jan 13, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #2 of 16
Maybe check out the Soundmagic HP100/150.  

I'd also suggest the DT1770 but that's a bit outside your budget... perhaps a used one?  I think this is a really solid choice for you if you can swing the price.  Guitar Center carries Beyer right?  Maybe see if you can demo it.

The Shure 1540 is a bass monster.  Bassheads love it, everyone thinks its a bit much.  I doubt you'll appreciate it based on your preference above.

Good luck with your search!

Jan 13, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #4 of 16
  I'd also suggest the DT1770 but that's a bit outside your budget... perhaps a used one?  I think this is a really solid choice for you if you can swing the price.  Guitar Center carries Beyer right?  Maybe see if you can demo it.

The Shure 1540 is a bass monster.  Bassheads love it, everyone thinks its a bit much.  I doubt you'll appreciate it based on your preference above.

Thanks for the suggestions. That's the first time I've heard the 1540's being called a bass monster. However, I need to do more research on them. Looking at their FR they might be something to consider if I can get an audition.

The Dt 1770's are a pair I've kept in the back of my mind due to my familiarity with the Dt line. I have no problem buying used, but again auditioning becomes an issue. My only guitar center does not carry anything higher than the Custom Studios for Beyer headphones. I normally follow blind purchases for this reason, and I'm getting annoyed with shipping costs haha. It's all a part of the process. It takes me 3-5 headphones for me to find  the right choice. 

Jan 13, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #5 of 16
  +1 on the HP150. You might also consider the AKG K553 Pro--it could potentially work. Have you considered an open can?  It would give you more options.

I will most likely take another listen to the AKG K553's if I can. I remember them feeling a little light sounding, which is AKG's floaty signature. I'm currently pretty settled with my open backs for now, owning HE-400i's and AKG Q701's. SInce owning the Q701's I may prefer the sound of the K553's more now than before. I think I'm still trying to find something that is more enveloping on the low mids. It's difficult to get this without going significantly V shaped. Thanks for the input!

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 16

I will most likely take another listen to the AKG K553's if I can. I remember them feeling a little light sounding, which is AKG's floaty signature. I'm currently pretty settled with my open backs for now, owning HE-400i's and AKG Q701's. SInce owning the Q701's I may prefer the sound of the K553's more now than before. I think I'm still trying to find something that is more enveloping on the low mids. It's difficult to get this without going significantly V shaped. Thanks for the input!

You're right, it is difficult.

Two more that came to mind are the HP50 and the P7. Not sure if they will accomplish your lower mids interest, but one might.

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #7 of 16
  You're right, it is difficult.
Two more that came to mind are the HP50 and the P7. Not sure if they will accomplish your lower mids interest, but one might.

I'm actually going to go audition the P7's again today at a a magnolia store. They also have Sony MDR z7's which will take a listen to as well. I have found them used at pretty decent prices. Does anyone have impressions of Denon AH-MM400's? I'm not familar with Denon's signature, but I've heard generally good things about these.

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #8 of 16
  I'm actually going to go audition the P7's again today at a a magnolia store. They also have Sony MDR z7's which will take a listen to as well. I have found them used at pretty decent prices. Does anyone have impressions of Denon AH-MM400's? I'm not familar with Denon's signature, but I've heard generally good things about these.

I am looking for almost the same thing, only difference is my budget is a little higher.  here is a review I saved it has the P7's and MM400's in it.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/denon-ah-mm400-music-maniac-over-ear-headphones/reviews/17384

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #10 of 16
Surprised no one has recommended the Meze 99 Classics to you, they fit your description perfectly.

the reviews sounds very promising, seem to be getting better reviews then many more expensive ones.  I had not heard of these before and now just when I thought I was narrowing down my choices; it seems this is a real contender.  

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #11 of 16
Surprised no one has reccomended the Meze 99 Classics to you, they fit your description perfectly.

After purchasing the MH40's, I borrowed a friends 99's for comparison. Even though I prefer larger pads, his model had the original small versions and felt fine. Almost everything I liked better, the comfort, the suspension headband is beautiful, the wider soundstage and quality of the product. Oh and the wood cups! Wonderfully crafted they are. However, I couldn't say I liked the sound better. In fact, I kept going back to the MH40's because of it's ability to have a crisp punch, and to me, better dynamics. I found the extension of the 99's to be a little overbearing (not bloated but noticeably stepping on top) , even though its liquid smooth. Maybe I'm just a sucker for the attack in the upper bass range? Its probably why I chose the Q701's over the K712 for my monitoring/reference open backs. 

I will never discredit Meze's abilities here. It is a fantastic headphone and will suit most everyone, just not me. And for $309 with new, larger pads on the Silver Walnut White Maple, they are a steal. They are becoming less an underdog in the audio world and they deserve it.

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #12 of 16

I am looking for almost the same thing, only difference is my budget is a little higher.  here is a review I saved it has the P7's and MM400's in it.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/denon-ah-mm400-music-maniac-over-ear-headphones/reviews/17384

This review actually made me want to consider the Denon's more as I've demoed the others on that list. I thought the P7's had great clarity and elevation in the upper mid range. Its that kind of detail in quality that the MH40's have, but in different places. It has character. The PM3's and H6's didn't have that to my ears. In fact, the Blue Mofi's has a similar effect on me ( like the P7's) in spaciousness for the mids for a closed headphone, albeit more airy sounding. 

Jan 15, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #14 of 16
  I don't know how much you can stretch your budget but you're pretty much describing the Fostex TH610. They're $499 from amazon

At first I wrote these off because of the typical 'V-shape U-Shape conundrum, " but I honestly love the look of these, plus detachable cable? Thats two checks in my appearance column. I'm willing stretch my budget now due to selling some things off to make up for costs. 

Do you have experience with the 610's? If you'd be willing share your thoughts. How are the mid's preserved, and are they ass recessed, as let's say, the Dt 770's?

Jan 16, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #15 of 16
Alright, I jumped on 'deal' for the Fostex Th-610's.On amazon they have recieved a price jump with their limited stock, and now more so for third party sellers. They will most likely be a little more tame to the Mh40's, and more tame than the ThX00 mahogany's, but I think they will compliment my tastes well.

Thank you blablablack for bringing these back in my vision and to everyone else for your suggestions. I'd like to leave this thread open for now for similar users who are looking for the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back