Closed Back -- Low Sound Leakage: Recommendations?
Jan 22, 2014 at 2:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Nihl

Head-Fier
Looking for something closed back, with low sound leakage. High comfort and durability is a must. Coming from a previous pair of headphones that I could compare to 'pillows on my ears' -- I need something of equal comfort. Also, if they crack I don't want them. I took care of my headphones and the cracking on them just happened out of nowhere. I'm referring to the HD555s which were open-back; but now I desire something closed with isolation / low sound leakage for public places.

Price range $150~$200. I don't have an amp, but  I could get one later down the road...going to use these cans on portable devices but on my PC daily as well. I listen to a wide variety of music, but mostly stuff with heavy bass. Gaming is another hobby as well and video entertainment. My PC has a sound card installed, but does not include a headphone amplifier.

Any thoughts?

Jan 22, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 5
The standard recommendation here is the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 or the Beyerdynamic DT770 (if you can find them under $200), or maybe the Sony MDR-1R (I have not heard that one). I'm assuming you don't want another Sennheiser...

Jan 22, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 5
There's nothing wrong with Sennheiser, I just don't know if I really want another open-back pair of headphones right now. The 555s leak sound like crazy and that's not something I'll want to use in a public / office-oriented setting; and there really isn't any other Sennheiser in my price range that offers the sound quailty I'm looking for as well as comfort (closed back / isolated cans).

I've been looking at the DT 770 pros for quite some time -- I'm just worried about not having an amp.

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #5 of 5
Yup - having an amp with the DT770 250 ohm version would be advised.

However, there is also the "Mobil Version" of the DT770 that is 32 Ohm:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/984399-REG/beyerdynamic_ams_dt_770_pro_32_dt_770_pro_studio_headphones.html

or the DT770M 80 ohm version:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/359167-REG/Beyerdynamic_472786_DT_770M_Hi_Noise_Stereo.html

There are also closed-back Sennheisers: HD280 Pro, HD449, HD380 Pro, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back