Closed back & lightweight please
Jun 4, 2009 at 9:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Frankie Lee

New Head-Fier
I love my Senn 650's but I find them a bit heavy for when I'm working and the wife complains of the noise level when I turn them up. Any recommendations for something with a similar sound-balance that's lighter and with a closed-back? My budget is sub €150 so I'm not expecting the same caliber of sound. I was thinking of the Audio-Technica ATH-A700s.

Any thoughts?

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #5 of 11
Audiotechnica feels light on the head...
DT770 doesnt feel as light, although it is quite comfy (until the pads become compressed which will be an issue with the pro 80 ohm).
You will also want an amp for 'best' performance with the 770 (it sounds slow/relaxed without one, but fast/energetic with one).
ATH-Axxx gets my vote, as I havnt heard the denons.

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #6 of 11
How about the Senn HD 25-1 II? Its closed and lightweight and you can use your HD650 cables on them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #7 of 11
K27Xs and AX00s are pretty light, despite how they look.

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denon D1001, ftw.

Agreed. Extremely light and comfy (unless you have big ears) with very little sound leakage.

Jun 4, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #10 of 11
HD650's aren't that heavy, to be honest - you won't get any closed phones all that much lighter.

What's more, is the lighter they are, the less they will isolate, losing one of the prime benefits of a closed headphone.

That said, for a similar sound signature, I'd suggest the Beyerdynamic DT-250 250 ohm.

Jun 4, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #11 of 11
I recently purchased the ESW9s for similar reasons. I have been very happy with the sound signature, light weight, easy to manage cord, and minimal sound leakage out. There is quite a bit of leakage in, but for me this is preferable. I can hear if my kids are tearing up the house. These sit on your ears so not sure if you like that. I find them more comfortable than my 225i. They are selling for $229 in the US. Not sure about EU, so apologize if I am recommending something out of range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back