Closed Back Headphones
Sep 2, 2012 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Code07

Aka: anfied
Aka: soccerr100
Hey guys, new member here, glad to join :)

I was at Staples shopping for school stuff when I decided to check the headphone section. I saw the Sennheiser HD 449 and oh boy it looked awesome. Big and comfy. So I decided to to some researching. So far the reviews at head-fi pretty much say that the pads are not comfy, cheap, and the headphone has a cheap plastic feel/look.

Now comfort is really important, especially because I have glasses (read that they aren't comfy for those who wear prescription glasses). There is the HD 598, but its open-back, so that won't do it. School will kick in 2 days and those long hours spent at the library will resume, and this year I need a headphone that's definitely better than my iPhone earbuds.

So I would appreciate it if you guys can recommend some closed back, on-ear (or over-ear? I don't know) headphones.  It would be really nice if the headphone won't be big on the head. Price isn't really important, but if the quality is good and the price isn't steep then sure. Also, looking for something that won't require an amp or anything else. Source will be an iPhone (MP3 V0).

Sep 3, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 28
Anything that you find at staples is probably not anything you'd want to put over your ears. I heard the timer they used in the Olympics that glitched during the fencing match was bought from staples and rumor has it the judges used the easy button to make their controversial decision.

On a serious note I would recommend the Denon AH-D1001s or a similar model from Denon. The pair I have has lasted me for years and it is portable enough to put in a backpack, or the like. I get pretty decent volume plugging it into my ipod, pretty much the same amount I would get with the white ear buds. There is also plenty of bass too if you are a bass head. The phones are extremely light and I could wear them for hours without getting uncomfortable in them, they are the most comfortable pair of headphones I own, in fact. I recommend these phones to everybody, I just love em to death.

Sep 3, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #3 of 28
I'm perfectly open to using open backs as portables but it also depends on your preference.
If you like to blast your music then an open back in the library isn't the best option

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #5 of 28
I listen to way too much disco to use open backs in public

Sep 3, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #8 of 28
The M50 looks nice, only concern is that I wear prescription glasses.  Should that be a concern?  I really can't try them as no store in the city has them.

Also, any cons to consider?  CNET says its a bit bulky, but 7nation says its mobile?  And also, whats a coiled cable to be exact?  I heard that there is an S version of the M50 too.  Bit confused.

Sep 3, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #9 of 28
The M50 looks nice, only concern is that I wear prescription glasses.  Should that be a concern?  I really can't try them as no store in the city has them.

Also, any cons to consider?  CNET says its a bit bulky, but 7nation says its mobile?  And also, whats a coiled cable to be exact?  I heard that there is an S version of the M50 too.  Bit confused.

My friend uses them with his glasses and he never complained.
They are relatively bulky to IEMs for portable use but they fold up I believe.
The S version stands for straight cable.
Think of a pig tail for the coiled cable.

Sep 3, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #10 of 28
Well, the source will be an iPhone.  And I will only use it while at the library (definitely not while on the bus/walking/etc)...and it would be really nice if the wires won't get tangled easily (like the iPod earbuds).  So which would you recommend, the coiled cable version?

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #11 of 28
Well, the source will be an iPhone.  And I will only use it while at the library (definitely not while on the bus/walking/etc)...and it would be really nice if the wires won't get tangled easily (like the iPod earbuds).  So which would you recommend, the coiled cable version?

My friend uses the coiled version. The cable is actually pretty heavy...
I'd probably get the straight cable version but that's just me.

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #12 of 28
I did some further research.  I don't really know what to make out of this headphone, people are saying it's not worth it anymore and the M50 itself is overhyped.

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:
I did some further research.  I don't really know what to make out of this headphone, people are saying it's not worth it anymore and the M50 itself is overhyped.

There are always alternatives. V-modas or ultrasones. 

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

There are always alternatives. V-modas or ultrasones. 

I wouldn't.
I wear glasses, and since the V-modas clamp your head pretty tightly they are hell to wear for long periods of time.
They're also semi-open, and despite it being barely an issue in most environments, in a quiet place like a library they still leak just a bit at about half volume on an iphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back