Closed Back Headphones: Stepping Up From A Lawton TH600 Advice Needed
Jul 6, 2015 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

InsanityOne

500+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi'ers,

As the title of this thread suggests I am in the market for a new pair of closed-back headphones to wear as my daily driver at home and occasionally at the office. I prefer closed back headphones and am looking to purchase the "next step up" from my heavily modified Fostex TH600's.

A quick note on my usage, I generally will wear my "daily driver" cans for anywhere from 6-12 hours per day. The headphones must sound and perform well, but above all else they must be comfortable. Taking all of this into consideration, I have posted the cans that I am currently considering below and I am open to suggestions as well:

1.) Beyerdynamic T5p - (The current top contender)
2.) Ultrasone Edition 8 "Romeo" - (Can't find any solid reviews with comparisons)
3.) Mr. Speakers Alpha Prime - (Comfort concerns me here)

If I had to set a budget I would say around $1000. Any of the models I listed above can be found used for around $700-$900. This eliminates higher-end closed back models such as the Audeze LCD-XC and the Ultrasone Edition 5, which is a shame because I would really love to own/audition a pair of Edition 5's. Also, let it be known that I will not consider buying the Fostex TH900 as I have already experienced much of the Fostex sound with my modified TH600's.

Thank you in advance for your replies and suggestions! 
dt880smile.png

P.S. - Keep an eye out on the FS/FT forums for a chance at a one-of-a-kind pair of Fostex TH600's in the coming months.

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #2 of 12
IMO the T5p is probably a good step up in clarity and balance. The TH600 has better bass depth but it is not as precise or quick as the T5p. The T5p will likely be less fatiguing in the highs than the TH600 and will not drop off as much in the mids. The T5p is very comfortable, the pads are comparable to the TH600 pads in size, and the weight of the entire headphone will be much less than your TH600 weighs with the stock OR wood cups I'm sure. Another thing to note is the beyer build quality. There won't be an headband swivel mechanisms breaking on those, they are built to last.

Jul 7, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #3 of 12
  IMO the T5p is probably a good step up in clarity and balance. The TH600 has better bass depth but it is not as precise or quick as the T5p. The T5p will likely be less fatiguing in the highs than the TH600 and will not drop off as much in the mids. The T5p is very comfortable, the pads are comparable to the TH600 pads in size, and the weight of the entire headphone will be much less than your TH600 weighs with the stock OR wood cups I'm sure. Another thing to note is the beyer build quality. There won't be an headband swivel mechanisms breaking on those, they are built to last.

My thought exactly, I will probably end up missing the rich bass on the TH600's but the "U-shaped" signature still leaves much to be desired in terms of balance. As for comfort I have tried my friends pair of 990 Pros multiple times and I have been impressed by the comfort and build quality. The T5p just looks like the landslide winner here as there are not many other closed-back headphones that can compete with it at this price range. Not to mention the used market for T5p's is more like $500 - $800.

Note: Keep an eye on your inbox if I pick up a pair of these cans @cCasper TFG becuase I will definitely be inquiring about the dual 3-pin mini xlr mod for them. 
wink.gif

Jul 7, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #4 of 12

My thought exactly, I will probably end up missing the rich bass on the TH600's but the "U-shaped" signature still leaves much to be desired in terms of balance. As for comfort I have tried my friends pair of 990 Pros multiple times and I have been impressed by the comfort and build quality. The T5p just looks like the landslide winner here as there are not many other closed-back headphones that can compete with it at this price range. Not to mention the used market for T5p's is more like $500 - $800.

Note: Keep an eye on your inbox if I pick up a pair of these cans @cCasper TFG becuase I will definitely be inquiring about the dual 3-pin mini xlr mod for them. 
wink.gif

Alright man, looking forward to it. Keep us posted here on your decision!

Jul 7, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #5 of 12
Here's one super cheap ($550) in "beautiful condition".

http://www.head-fi.org/t/773041/beyerdynamic-t5p-in-beautiful-condition

I'm trying to spend your money for you now.

Jul 7, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #6 of 12
  Here's one super cheap ($550) in "beautiful condition".

http://www.head-fi.org/t/773041/beyerdynamic-t5p-in-beautiful-condition

I'm trying to spend your money for you now.

Haha I am actually subbed to that thread... Been watching it like a hawk. That deal is amazing and he is even throwing in a Schitt Fulla! I would've bought that pair already but I'm just waiting on payday you know.
tongue.gif

Jul 7, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #7 of 12
  Haha I am actually subbed to that thread... Been watching it like a hawk. That deal is amazing and he is even throwing in a Schitt Fulla! I would've bought that pair already but I'm just waiting on payday you know.
tongue.gif

I know the struggle. I was contemplating selling the HD700 and adding the additional cash to that to buy them, but decided to go with an IE 800 instead, at least for while I'm on vacation for 2 weeks. The T5p might be my next move as well.

Jul 7, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #8 of 12
  I know the struggle. I was contemplating selling the HD700 and adding the additional cash to that to buy them, but decided to go with an IE 800 instead, at least for while I'm on vacation for 2 weeks. The T5p might be my next move as well.

So true. It's all about the search for the perfect setup that fits your needs. I try not to think about all the gear I've blown through on my trek towards "Summit-Fi". Some of it barely even lasts 6 months! Oops... 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 7, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #9 of 12
  So true. It's all about the search for the perfect setup that fits your needs. I try not to think about all the gear I've blown through on my trek towards "Summit-Fi". Some of it barely even lasts 6 months! Oops... 
rolleyes.gif

I'm lucky if I keep anything that long. I get that itch... It really doesn't help that the used market here is always busy and you don't really lose much, if any selling something you bought used yourself. So far, I know I love the DT990 so I bought it again, and I love T50RPs. Those 2 have been in my inventory the most (different versions of the DT990) and they will be staying for good. I'm just looking for the perfect TOTL 'phone for me, too bad I think it's actually the LCD-X 
eek.gif
$$$$$$$$$$
eek.gif

Jul 7, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #10 of 12
  I'm lucky if I keep anything that long. I get that itch... It really doesn't help that the used market here is always busy and you don't really lose much, if any selling something you bought used yourself. So far, I know I love the DT990 so I bought it again, and I love T50RPs. Those 2 have been in my inventory the most (different versions of the DT990) and they will be staying for good. I'm just looking for the perfect TOTL 'phone for me, too bad I think it's actually the LCD-X 
eek.gif
$$$$$$$$$$
eek.gif

I've never auditioned a pair of Audeze but I would definitely like to someday. Especially the LCD-XC. Too bad they are so heavy though, I fear that if I auditioned a pair I would feel compelled to buy them and then I would only listen to them for a few hours per week. Audeze doesn't really strike me as the "wear while sitting at your desk/computer" type of can. Maybe the EL-8 is though.
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #11 of 12
  I've never auditioned a pair of Audeze but I would definitely like to someday. Especially the LCD-XC. Too bad they are so heavy though, I fear that if I auditioned a pair I would feel compelled to buy them and then I would only listen to them for a few hours per week. Audeze doesn't really strike me as the "wear while sitting at your desk/computer" type of can. Maybe the EL-8 is though.
biggrin.gif

I've heard too many bad things about the EL-8. I heard the closed version and wasn't impressed. The LCD-XC...that bass slam! They're great, but heavy and is a little bass heavy. The LCD-X is awesome. Neutral and precise! 

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #12 of 12
  I've heard too many bad things about the EL-8. I heard the closed version and wasn't impressed. The LCD-XC...that bass slam! They're great, but heavy and is a little bass heavy. The LCD-X is awesome. Neutral and precise! 

Might have to keep an eye out for the LCD-X then so I can give it a try too! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back