Closed back headphones around $300
Dec 9, 2015 at 8:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

drgnfrc13

100+ Head-Fier
I've read lots of threads on this but still haven't found what I'm looking for (-insert U2 track here-). My criteria:
-closed back

-very comfortable, preferably with deep, spacious pads

-circumaural

-portable - I want to be able to wear them around my neck without them acting as a neck brace.

-versatile - I listen to everything from Eminem to Billy Joel to Alter Bridge, and I need something that can handle everything reasonably well. My preferred sound signature is something along the lines of the Shure SRH-840: neutral and somewhat analytical, yet slightly on the warm side. I can adapt to other sound signatures though, as long as the bass isn't drowning out my mids.

-passive - I am indifferent as to whether they have ANC, bluetooth, integrated amp, etc., but if the battery runs out, I want them to keep working.

-well built - cheap-feeling plastic is not my thing.

Some headphones I have already looked into:
PSB M4U 2: I actually purchased these a while back after reading many enthusiastic reviews. In my opinion, their sound quality is just okay, and they are terribly uncomfortable, with the edges of my fairly average-sized ears pressing against the driver housing. I'll be returning these soon.

Oppo PM-3: These seem like the holy grail, but I can't justify spending the extra $100 when I still have some Christmas shopping left to do.

Sennheiser Momentum 2: these seem nice, but I have read a lot of reviews complaining about comfort.

NAD HP50: Good reviews for sound quality, comfort seems hit-or-miss. Is it just me or are these headphones really unattractive?

Blue Mo-Fi: Great reviews, mostly positive for comfort, although they are very heavy and large. These may be a strong contender.

Brainwavz HM5: Seem to have good reviews, but they are significantly below my targeted price range, so I don't know how well they contend with the other candidates.

V-MODA M-100: Known to be quite bassy, but honestly, I have the M-80 already and I like them a lot; build quality is superb, sound quality is very decent, and they look great. If I can't find anything better, the M-100 + XL pads will most likely be my final choice.

Bose QC25: Despite being Bose headphones,these seem to be well received on Head-Fi, though the apparently all-plastic build is a concern, and one review claimed that in passive mode, their sound quality is degraded (counter to what is generally observed with ANC headphones, to my knowledge...).

Dec 9, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #2 of 7
Sound wise I think the NAD's are probably what you are looking for, warm mid-range, solid bass, and a wide sound stage.  However I agree the appearance is something I can't get past, and they apparently feel a little cheap with all the plastic used.

The Momentum 2 sound good, though a bit veiled, however the comfort is not there.  Even with the bigger cups of the second generation, they are still snug around your ear and get warm.  I tried these for a week and wanted to keep them but I could not stand wearing them for more than an hour.

I found the V-Moda boomy sounding, there is too much bass in my opinion and it is not as articulate as I would like.  Very comfortable, though a bit heavy, but built like a tank.  If you like that sound balance than they would tick off all your other requirements.

I ended up choosing some AKG K553 Pro, fantastic bass that is impactful but still articulate, neutral overall, and a nice airy top end that isn't fatiguing.  They are not that portable though so probably not the best choice for you, but figured I would share my experiences with some of these headphones.

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #3 of 7
Yeah, I just wish there were a more detailed and balanced version of the M-100. Though, since I won't be listening to these very much on my home setup, I suppose they don't need to be at the same level as my Philips X2, anyway.

And yeah, the AKG 54X/55X series are actually what I had in mind when I made the remark about headphones acting as a neck brace. Lol

I might just go with the M-100. I appreciate your input.

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #5 of 7
I already own the Audio Technica ATH-M50. I've had them for a couple years, and they aren't bad by any means, but I feel that they're very overrated headphones. They're also in a much lower price/quality bracket than what I'm looking for.

Dec 9, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #7 of 7
I already own the Audio Technica ATH-M50. I've had them for a couple years, and they aren't bad by any means, but I feel that they're very overrated headphones. They're also in a much lower price/quality bracket than what I'm looking for.

I really like my pair but I only use them as portable headphones (when I am out and about)! They are very durable and I like them a lot for travelling. The low impedance is also great if you are using it with an ipod or phone. I do agree that there is better stuff out there for home use though. I just threw out a suggestion because my pair has lasted me so long and I am happy with the sound!

All the best!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back