closed back Headphone to replace AKG K612
Jul 22, 2015 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MartinE

New Head-Fier
Hi,
    I currently own a pair of AKG K612 which I really like, to me the music presentation is just right. The problem I have is due to there open back design, I'm constantly being moaned at by my other half and daughter about the sound leakage. I would like to by a pair of closed back headphones only for home use that have a really controlled  balanced sound similar to my K612's. I was considering the Oppo PM-3 or B&W P7 would either of these give me the sound I'm after. I listen to a real mix of music from Jazz to The Who
James Tayor, Joe Jackson, Bad Company, Pink Floyd, Amy Winehouse, The Raconteurs, The Rolling Stones to name but a few
What are your comments regarding my 2 options. I will be running them through a LINN Akurate DS streamer with a Chord HUGO DAC feeding the Headphones.

I hope someone can help suggest some other great alternatives  around the £300 mark.

Martin

Jul 23, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #3 of 6
Hi,
Thank you for your reply. In answer to your question. The headphones will be fed by a Chord HUGO DAC which has its own Vol control and build in amp, this is fed from the Digital Out feed from a LINN Akurate DS. The Amp is a Wyred4Sound STi 500 (250 wpc) The Chord HUGO DAC is a portable DAC dedicated for Headphones but it works so well I am using it as an external DAC on my home system.

Regards,
Martin,

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #4 of 6
Soundmagic HP150 is a nice alternative to the K612. A bit more bass emphasis and a bit more treble emphasis, but not a substantially v-shaped headphone.

Jul 23, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #5 of 6
Hi,
      Thank you for your reply and sugestion about trying the Soundmagic HP150. I have read a mixture of reviews about the sound quality but there are quite a few people talking about the weak plastic hinge breaking. I want my headphones to last for years not weeks.  Have you heard the Oppo PM-3 or B&W P7 as these get very good reviews about their SQ and build quality.

Regards,
Martin 

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 6
I like the PM-3, but it has a nice relaxed sound which doesn't quite have the "clarity" of the K612.

I haven't heard the P7, only the P5 which is also rather relaxed sounding. Great comfort though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back