Closed back headphone suggestions
Nov 24, 2019 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Ksnijders

New Head-Fier
Hi there!

Perhaps you could help me out, I'm looking for a new closed-back headphone for use at work and sometimes home.

Let me explain the situation: currently, I have a Sennheiser HD6XX in combination with a Schiit Modi 3 and Magni. However, when I'm Home I prefer to listen to my monitor speakers. That said I tried my Sennheiser at work but due to the open back, I can't use them there. Although I do like the sound of the HD6XX.

For this reason I'm looking for a good Closed-back headphone that I can use at work in combination with a Schiit V3 stack. My spectrum of music is quite wide, I listen to all types of music: Jazz, Soul, Funk, Old Psychedelic Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Techno (Not the bassy stuff), Blues, and Indy. I would not consider myself a hardcore Audiophile, most of the music I listen to Spotify (extreme quality) and not FLAC for example.

I prefer headphones with a lot of detail over bassy headphones. I love for example the clear sound of a guitar or hearing the "crisp" of a saxophone. What would you guys recommend? With BlackFriday coming up I see a nice chance to buy myself a new pair. To sum up:

- Closed-back over-ear headphone for an office environment
- Budget 150 - 300
- Clear sound with a lot of detail
- Will be used with a Schiit V3 stack

Greetings,

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 12
Check out the website Drop, and planer type headphones.

Nov 24, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 12
I prefer headphones with a lot of detail over bassy headphones. I love for example the clear sound of a guitar or hearing the "crisp" of a saxophone. What would you guys recommend? With BlackFriday coming up I see a nice chance to buy myself a new pair. My budget set to a maximum of 150,- till 300,- for the headphones.

Suggestions for an Amplifier/DAC combination to replace my Schiit Fula at work are welcome as well!

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/monitoring-headphone-studio-professional-audio-hd-380-pro

Nov 25, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #4 of 12
Nov 25, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #5 of 12
Thank you for the recommendation, that one looks quite nice! I saw the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro & Sennheiser Momentum wired as well. How would that compare to the Sennheiser 380 Pro?

HD380 Pro is kind of close to the HD600 sound. Kind of. That puts it rather far from the HD6XX.

Still, the boomier bass of the DT770 coupled with taller treble peaks presents a problem for trying to keep to a sound similar to the HD6XX.

Nov 28, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #6 of 12
I just picked up a set of Focal Spirit classic for $ 150 on ebay and am very happy with them. For the price a steal. If you want to get something truly excellent the Focal Elegia can be had for just over $ 500---
But for "budget" price--the Classic is very good. The Shure SRH 1540 goes for around $ 400---excellent closed backs.
I also have a set of Ultrasone Signature Pro that I got for $ 300 used on head-fi--they are excellent--retail $ 1,000 on amazon.

For $ 150--Focal Spirit Classic-
For $ 300- Ultrasone Signature Pro

Nov 28, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #7 of 12
I think you might like the Beyerdynamic DT-150 or DT-250 (250 Ohm Version).

Both have dedicated threads. I have both, and prefer the 150s, but YMMV. The 250s are a little smoother and warmer, closer to the HD650 sound. The 150s scale better, and give an incredible soundstage and sense of openness for closed cans. They are both in a different league to the DT770s!

Nov 28, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #8 of 12
I just picked up a set of Focal Spirit classic for $ 150 on ebay and am very happy with them. For the price a steal. If you want to get something truly excellent the Focal Elegia can be had for just over $ 500---
But for "budget" price--the Classic is very good. The Shure SRH 1540 goes for around $ 400---excellent closed backs.
I also have a set of Ultrasone Signature Pro that I got for $ 300 used on head-fi--they are excellent--retail $ 1,000 on amazon.

For $ 150--Focal Spirit Classic-
For $ 300- Ultrasone Signature Pro

I think you might like the Beyerdynamic DT-150 or DT-250 (250 Ohm Version).

Both have dedicated threads. I have both, and prefer the 150s, but YMMV. The 250s are a little smoother and warmer, closer to the HD650 sound. The 150s scale better, and give an incredible soundstage and sense of openness for closed cans. They are both in a different league to the DT770s!

Thank you guys for both suggestions! I'm going to do some research on them.

I found the Meze 99 Classic with an upgrade cable. I might be going for those! The looks are incredible in combination with a natural and balanced sound. I know it's not the best option if I look for a bang-for-a-buck, but those looks....:flushed:

Nov 28, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #9 of 12
Thank you guys for both suggestions! I'm going to do some research on them.

I found the Meze 99 Classic with an upgrade cable. I might be going for those! The looks are incredible in combination with a natural and balanced sound. I know it's not the best option if I look for a bang-for-a-buck, but those looks....:flushed:
The 99 Classics were going to be my suggestion for you as well.

Nov 30, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #10 of 12
I know you said closed back headphone, but have you considered a pair of IEMs? For 300 you can get quite a nice set! I have a Tin T3 which has great detail but the bass is lacking. Not sure what kind of signature you're after.

Dec 3, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #11 of 12
The 99 Classics were going to be my suggestion for you as well.

I think the Meze 99 classics are the ones!

I know you said closed back headphone, but have you considered a pair of IEMs? For 300 you can get quite a nice set! I have a Tin T3 which has great detail but the bass is lacking. Not sure what kind of signature you're after.

I have already a pair of IEMs, the NICEHCK NX7. I do like them but not for listening for the whole day. If you would like to add more bass to your Tin's, I would recommend sealing the bass hole. I did it with my Tin T2 and they have significantly more bass.

Dec 3, 2019 at 3:46 AM Post #12 of 12
Hi, I was in your case before, I used DT770 and SH momentum, momentum is more balanced and refined compared to 770, sound quality is better but it's over the ears so others can still hear your music. This headphone like HD600 is good natural sound for acoustic music, but sometimes lack some excitement. Sometimes I swap out to HD25 II/plus for some excitement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back